Artie Shaw The Uncollected Artie Shaw & His Orchestra, Volume 1: 1938
- Released: April 8, 1994
- Label: Hindsight Records
- 1.Nightmare-Opening Theme
- 2.April In My Heart
- 3.Night Over Shanghai - (with Helen Forrest)
- 4.Small Fry - (with Tony Pastor)
- 5.What Is This Thing Called Love
- 6.Nightmare-Closing Theme
- 7.Nightmare-Opening Theme
- 8.Just A Kid Named Joe - (with Tony Pastor)
- 9.When I Go A-Dreamin' - (with Helen Forrest)
- 10.Leapin' At The Lincoln
- 11.Nightmare-Opening Theme
- 12.Lambeth Walk
- 13.They Say - (with Helen Forrest)
- 14.Shine On Harvest Moon
- 15.Nightmare - (with Opening Theme)
- 16.Out Of Nowhere
- 17.Simple And Sweet - (with Helen Forrest)
- 18.Blue Interlude
- 19.Apple Blossom Time (I'll Be With You In) - (with Tony Pastor)
Personnel includes: Artie Shaw (leader, clarinet); Tony Pastor (vocals, saxophone); Helen Forrest (vocals); Les Robinson, Hank Freeman (saxophone); John Best, Chuck Peterson, Bernie Priven (trumpet); George Arus, Harry Rogers (trombone); Al Avola (guitar); Sid Weiss (bass).
Recorded in 1938. Includes liner notes by Patricia Willard.
Personnel: Tony Pastor (vocals, saxophone); Helen Forrest (vocals); Al Avola (guitar); Artie Shaw (clarinet); Ronnie Perry , Les Robinson, Hank Freeman (saxophone); Chuck Peterson, John Best , Bernie Privin (trumpet); George Arus, Russell Brown , Harry Rodgers (trombone); Bob Kitsis, Les Burness (piano); George Wettling, Cliff Leeman (drums); George Hall (programming).
Audio Remasterer: John Jungklaus.
Liner Note Author: Patricia Willard.
Recording information: The Blue Room of the Lincoln Hotel (11/29/1938/12/02/1938).
Editors: Tom Shallcross; Wally Heider.
Photographer: Jack Lomas.
Arrangers: Jerry Gray; Artie Shaw.
One among several reissues coming out in the next couple of years with outtakes, alternate tracks, and previously unissued takes by the Artie Shaw orchestra. The problem with this and similar collections are that since these weren't the songs that made them famous, their appeal is limited. Also, in most cases, these are coming out on expensive, hard-to-locate foreign imports. Still, there's some good material here, so if you can find and afford it, grab it. ~ Ron Wynn
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!