- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 27 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 14, 2013
- Label: Acorn Media
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Bonus Program: Facing Hate with Elie Wiesel and Bill Moyers
- 12-Page viewer's guide with articles on overcoming histories of hate, the Southern Povery Law Center, and going beyond hate in Europe
- Bill Moyers biography and select participant updates
- Plus famous thinkers' quotes about hate and discussion questions at athenalearning.com
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Bill Moyers presents this special in an attempt to gain and impart a deeper understanding of an emotion from which few of us are exempt, one which has tremendous destructive power. Through interviews and listening we learn more of one of humankind's most basic emotions.
In this PBS documentary, Bill Moyers and others attempt to answer the fundamental question: Is hate a natural emotion or a learned social disease'
Moyers interviews a variety of subjects, ranging from former President Jimmy Carter to imprisoned South African leader Nelson Mandela. Their stories and others' take viewers all over the world -- from Nazi death camps and Arab-Israeli contested territories to the hinterlands of Vietnam and the asphalt jungles of American ghettos.
Soon, it becomes clear how hate stokes the most intense political, and personal, fires of tension on the planet.
Black Heritage |
Race Relations |
- Additional interviewees: Walter Anderson, Myrlie Evers, John Kenneth Galbraith, Robert Jay Lifton, Maired Corrigan Maguire and Romila Thapar.
- Copyright: 1991 Public Affairs Television, Inc.
- A production of International Cultural Programming, Inc. and Public Affairs Television.
- Additional credit: Amy Schatz (coordinating producer).