Duke Ellington Duke Ellington & His Orchestra: 1953, Volume 2
- Released: May 14, 2007
- Label: Classics France
- 1.Kinda Dukish - Duke Ellington
- 2.Montevideo - Duke Ellington
- 3.December Blue - Duke Ellington
- 4.I'm Just a Lucky So & So - Duke Ellington
- 5.It Shouldn't Happen To a Dream - Duke Ellington
- 6.What More Can I Say - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 7.Rockin' In Rhythm - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 8.Ultra Deluxe - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 9.Flying Home - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 10.Chile Bowl - Duke Ellington
- 11.Blue Moon - Duke Ellington
- 12.Oh Well - Duke Ellington
- 13.Just A-Sittin' & A-Rockin' - Duke Ellington
- 14.Ultra Deluxe - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 15.Flying Home - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 16.What More Can I Say? - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 17.Serious Serenade - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 18.Just A-Sittin' & A-Rockin' - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 19.Honeysuckle Rose - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 20.Night Time - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- 21.Stompin' At the Savoy - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ray Nance (vocals, violin, trumpet); Jimmy Grissom (vocals); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (clarinet, baritone saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry, Willie Cook, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Alfred Cobbs, George Jean, Quentin Jackson, Britt Woodman (trombone); Billy Strayhorn (piano); Ralph Collier (congas).
Liner Note Author: Anatol Schenker.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (12/03/1953-12/28/1953); New York, NY (12/03/1953-12/28/1953).
In a series of early-1950s recordings featuring many of its most famous musicians, including the baritone saxophonist Harry Carney, the tenor sax player Paul Gonsalves, and the trumpeter and violinist Ray Nance, the Duke Ellington Orchestra performs a high-octane set of big-band dance music, featuring such favorites as "Flying Home," "Rockin' in Rhythm," and "Stompin' At the Savoy." Though recorded in what was something of a fallow period for Ellington, after the 1940s big-band heyday and before his triumphant resurgence at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival, the band plays with characteristic verve and creativity, with highlights including a sumptuous version of "Ultra Deluxe."
Classic Musicals 50 Movie Pack - 12 Disc Set (12-DVD)(54)
$17.98 on SALE
Tiny Grimes And His Rockin' Highlanders, Volume 2 (CD)(5)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE