- Released: December 1, 1995
- Label: Circle
- 1.Main Stem - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 2.Slip of the Lip (Can Sink a Ship) - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Mercer
- 3.Take Two
- 4.Three Cent Stomp - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 5.Take Two
- 6.Take Three
- 7.I Wonder Why - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Mercer
- 8.Take Two
- 9.Take Three
- 10.Take Four
- 11.Go Away Blues - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 12.I Don't Want Anybody at All - Duke Ellington, Magidson, Herb
- 13.Ain't Misbehavin' - Duke Ellington, Waller, Fats
- 14.Things Ain't What They Used to Be - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Mercer
- 15.Take Two
- 16.Take Three
- 17.Caravan - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 18.It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 19.Take Two
- 20.Take Three
- 21.Johnny Come Lately - Duke Ellington, Strayhorn, Billy
- 22.Take Two
- 23.Creole Love Call - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 24.Take Two
- 25.Take Three
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ray Nance (vocals, violin, trumpet); Taft Jordan (vocals, trumpet); Betty Roch? (vocals); Fred Guy (guitar); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick (alto saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Harold Baker, Wallace Jones (trumpet); Rex Stewart (cornet); Juan Tizol (trombone); Sonny Greer (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Jack Towers.
Liner Note Author: Wendell Echols.
Recording information: New York, NY (11/08/1943/11/09/1943).
The second in this nine-LP series of transcriptions documents the 1943 Duke Ellington Orchestra shortly after tenor star Ben Webster had departed, but the band had so many talented soloists that he was barely missed. Volume Two is one of the strongest in this collector's program, containing nine selections (in addition to alternate takes and false starts) that are highlighted by features for Johny Hodges and Ray Nance. ~ Scott Yanow