Duke Ellington Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, Volume 2: 1943
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by Duke Ellington ~ And His Orchestra, 1945, Volume Five ~ $8.17
- by Duke Ellington ~ Duke Ellington & His World Famous Orchestra (1946-1947) (4-CD Box Set) ~ $26.55
- by Duke Ellington ~ Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, Volume 1: 1943 ~ $12.95
- Released: December 1, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Circle
- 1.Main Stem - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 2.Slip of the Lip (Can Sink a Ship) - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Mercer
- 3.Take Two
- 4.Three Cent Stomp - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 5.Take Two
- 6.Take Three
- 7.I Wonder Why - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Mercer
- 8.Take Two
- 9.Take Three
- 10.Take Four
- 11.Go Away Blues - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 12.I Don't Want Anybody at All - Duke Ellington, Magidson, Herb
- 13.Ain't Misbehavin' - Duke Ellington, Waller, Fats
- 14.Things Ain't What They Used to Be - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Mercer
- 15.Take Two
- 16.Take Three
- 17.Caravan - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 18.It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 19.Take Two
- 20.Take Three
- 21.Johnny Come Lately - Duke Ellington, Strayhorn, Billy
- 22.Take Two
- 23.Creole Love Call - Duke Ellington, Ellington, Duke
- 24.Take Two
- 25.Take Three
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ray Nance (vocals, violin, trumpet); Taft Jordan (vocals, trumpet); Betty Roch‚ (vocals); Fred Guy (guitar); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick (alto saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Harold Baker, Wallace Jones (trumpet); Rex Stewart (cornet); Juan Tizol (trombone); Sonny Greer (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Jack Towers.
Liner Note Author: Wendell Echols.
Recording information: New York, NY (11/08/1943/11/09/1943).
The second in this nine-LP series of transcriptions documents the 1943 Duke Ellington Orchestra shortly after tenor star Ben Webster had departed, but the band had so many talented soloists that he was barely missed. Volume Two is one of the strongest in this collector's program, containing nine selections (in addition to alternate takes and false starts) that are highlighted by features for Johny Hodges and Ray Nance. ~ Scott Yanow
Bread, Love And Cha Cha Cha / Cugat Cavalcade (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE