- Released: December 1, 1995
- Label: Circle
- 1.Metronome All-Out
- 2.Metronome All-Out
- 3.Esquire Swank
- 4.Downbeat Shuffle
- 5.Downbeat Shuffle
- 6.Ultra Blue - Duke Ellington, Hamilton, Jimmy
- 7.Ultra Blue - Duke Ellington,
- 8.Everything But You
- 11.Hollywood Hangover - Duke Ellington, Clayton, Buck
- 12.Blues on the Double - Duke Ellington, Clayton, Buck
- 13.Blues on the Double - Duke Ellington, Clayton, Buck
- 14.Kissing Bug - Duke Ellington, Stewart, Rex
- 15.Every Hour on the Hour (I Fall in Love With You)
- 16.Every Hour on the Hour (I Fall in Love With You)
- 17.Passion Flower - Duke Ellington, Strayhorn, Billy
- 18.Passion Flower - Duke Ellington, Strayhorn, Billy
- 19.Passion Flower - Duke Ellington, Strayhorn, Billy
- 20.Passion Flower - Duke Ellington, Strayhorn, Billy
- 21.In a Jam
- 22.In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree - Duke Ellington, VanAlstyne, Egbert
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ray Nance (vocals, violin, trumpet); Joya Sherrill, Al Hibbler (vocals); Fred Guy (guitar); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (clarinet, baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick (alto saxophone); Al Sears (tenor saxophone); Taft Jordan, Shelton Hemphill, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Rex Stewart (cornet); Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton, Claude Jones (trombone); Sonny Greer (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Jack Towers.
Liner Note Authors: Eddie Lambert; Wendell Echols; George H. Buck, Jr.
Recording information: New York, NY (12/01/1943-01/02/1945).
The midway point in this collector's series is reached in Volume Five which splits the program between performances by Duke Ellington's orchestras of 1943 and 1945. Although there were some personnel changes, there is a strong consistency to this series. Eight fine numbers (along with some alternate takes and false starts) makes this a worthy release. ~ Scott Yanow