- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 20, 2008
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Lightyear Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Buck Henry &
Julien Temple &
Director of Photography:
Variety - 05/27/1987
"...Exhilaratingly successful....[The] costumes, staging and locations are worthy of any great opera production and the sound quality is loud and clear and crisp..."
This avant-garde, often comic compilation film features 10 renowned directors' short interpretations of arias from operas by Verdi, Puccini, Wagner, and others.
Classical Music |
Musicals / Music Videos |
- Theatrical release: July 1988.
- Nicolas Roeg's UN BALLO IN MASCHERA was filmed on location in Vienna and London; Charles Sturridge's LA VIRGINE DEGLI ANGELI in North London; Jean-Luc Godard's ARMIDE in Paris; Julien Temple's RIGOLETTO at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, California; Bruce Beresford's DIE TOTE STADT in Windsor, England; Robert Altman's LES BORÉADES in Paris; Franc Roddam's LIEBESTOD in Las Vegas and Cameron, Arizona; Ken Russell's NESSUN DORMA in London; Derek Jarman's DEPUIS LE JOUR in Scotland and London; Bill Bryden's I PAGLIACCI in Cremora, Italy.
- Directors were instructed not to have their films act out the narrative of the opera arias but to create something different from the emotionality of the movies.
- Bridget Fonda made her big screen debut with ARIA.