Count Basie The Count Basie and His Orchestra (1944)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.16 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.82 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Ellington ~ Rare Live Recordings 1952-1953 (3-CD) ~ $15.62
- by Louis Armstrong ~ Satchmo At Symphony Hall 65th Anniversary: The Complete Performances (2-CD) ~ $32.38
- Released: April 8, 1994
- Label: Hindsight Records
- 1.One O'Clock Jump
- 2.Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You - (featuring Jimmy Rushing)
- 3.Untitled Stomp
- 4.Lady Be Good - (featuring Artie Shaw)
- 5.Jumpin' At The Woodside - (featuring Lester Young)
- 6.Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me - (featuring Thelma Carpenter)
- 7.Basie Boogie
- 8.Avenue "C"
- 9.Baby, Won't You Please Come Home - (featuring Jimmy Rushing)
- 11.Bird Calls - (featuring Artie Shaw)
- 12.Call Me Darling - (featuring Thelma Carpenter)
- 13.Rockabye Basie
- 14.Every Tub
Personnel includes: Count Basie (leader, piano); Jimmy Rushing, Thelma Carpenter (vocals); Earle Warren, James Powell, Rudy Rutherford, Eli Thompson (reeds); Ed Lewis, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Al Killian, Joe Newman (trumpet); Eli Robinson, Ted Donnelly, Lou Taylor, Dicky Wells (trombone); Artie Shaw (clarinet); Freddie Green (guitar); Rodney Richardson (bass); Shad Wilson (drums).
Includes liner notes by Dave Dexter, Jr.
Digitally remastered by John Jungklaus.
Recorded live at The Hotel Lincoln, New York, New York.
With the advent of World War II musicians sporadically joined and left the Count Basie Orchestra depending on Uncle Sam's activities in Europe and the South Pacific. Despite the constant personnel shift, Basie's band swings with authority here; there's a lot of musical variety in this collection, too.
Jimmy Rushing and Thelma Carpenter each pace the set with two endearing vocal performances. Carpenter's silken alto voice is particularly moving on "Do Nothin' till You Hear From Me." Other selections, such as "Lady Be Good," feature Artie Shaw, a legend in his own right, on clarinet. A classic swing recording, 1944 is a jazz masterpiece as well as a historic keepsake.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Bread, Love And Cha Cha Cha / Cugat Cavalcade (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE