Count Basie 1944-1945
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.17 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.81 (26% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Count Basie ~ The Count Basie and His Orchestra (1944) ~ $19.76
- Released: August 12, 1994
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Circle
- 2.Time Alone Will Tell - (featuring Freddie Bryant)
- 3.Ain't It The Truth?
- 4.I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter - (featuring Jimmy Rushing)
- 5.Rockin' The Blues
- 6.I Dream Of You - (featuring Thelma Carpenter)
- 7.Let's Jump
- 8.This I Love Above All - (featuring Freddie Bryant)
- 9.Circus In Rhythm
- 10.Wish You Were Waiting For Me - (featuring Maxine Johnson)
- 11.Harvard Blues - (featuring Jimmy Rushing)
- 12.I'm Fer It Too
- 13.I Should Care - (featuring Earl Warren)
- 14.Sugarhill Shuffle
- 15.I Didn't Know About You - (featuring Maxine Johnson)
- 16.Please Don't Say No - (featuring Earl Warren)
- 17.Just An Old Manuscript
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Count Basie (leader, piano); Earle Warren (vocals, saxophone); Jimmy Rushing, Thelma Carpenter, Freddie Bryant, Maxine Johnson (vocals); Lester Young (tenor saxophone).
Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Earle Warren (vocals, alto saxophone); Freddie Bryant, Jimmy Rushing, Thelma Carpenter (vocals); Freddie Green (guitar); Rudy Rutherford (clarinet, baritone saxophone); Lester Young , Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Ed Lewis, Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet); Dicky Wells, Eli Robinson, Lewis Taylor, Al Killian (trombone).
Recording information: 01/10/1944-02/23/1945.
This is the second of two albums recorded by Count Basie's Orchestra during the halt in commercial recordings caused by the Musician's Union strike of 1944-45. These historically important 17 tunes document the all too brief return of tenor man Lester Young to the Basie lineup.
This is a markedly different band from the one heard in the prewar Kansas City days. The music is heavier, harder hitting, and tighter. However, Basie and company retain a buoyant swing throughout. Vocals by Jimmy Rushing, Thelma Carpenter, and others add a romantic flair, and Lester Young's lyrical playing makes this set as classic as it is inimitable; he uses his light, airy tone to create solos that almost overshadow the songs. Highlights include the moonstruck ballad "I Dream of You," and the foot stomping "Circus in Rhythm."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE