The Paragons Best of The Paragons
|You Save:||$4.54 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Dubs ~ Best of The Dubs ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by The Five Satins ~ Five Satins Sing Their Greatest Hits ~ $9.98 (Save 23%)
- by The Paragons / The Jesters ~ Paragons Meet The Jesters ~ $9.98 (Save 23%)
Available in a set:
- by Various Artists ~ Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 3 (10-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $49.98 (Save 38%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The New York Doo Wop sound can be defined by the sound of The Paragons. Their first single, "Florence" was a regional hit in 1957 - through the next few years (in fact, through the '60s), the group recorded many popular favorites, including "Let's Start All Over Again", "Twilight", "So You Will Know" and "If". This collection contains all the greats from this group which is still popular at rock and roll revival shows.
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes liner notes by Charlie Horner.
Liner Note Author: Charlie Horner.
Fourteen songs covering most of the high points of the group's history from 1957 into 1962, and all of their hits from this period. The only complaint one can have is that there's no sense to the order of what's here -- it certainly isn't chronological, nor is it even programmed to divide the McMichael from the Witt sides. Saving the signature tune "If" for last was probably not wise, either. The desperate, yearning-filled ballad is so far superior, as a performance and a record, to everything else here (fine as all of it is), that it sweeps aside one's favorable impression of everything else here. The group was at its best behind McMichael and Witt doing soaring, ethereal ballads such as "If" and "Twilight," but they weren't any slouches when it came to hot dance numbers -- "Doll Baby" and "Hey Little School Girl" are both fast-paced showcases for good humor and healthy, honest lust. The sound is passable, though one can make out some signs of noise and fuzziness (especially on the highs on "Give Me Love"), and it's likely that a new, modern transfer would eliminate many of these problems. A truly comprehensive collection might also have gone to 16 songs, and included numbers like their rendition of "Begin the Beguine," not a hit but still a great performance, and "In the Midst of the Night," but this CD will do for all but the most serious fans. ~ Bruce Eder
Ultimate Doo Wop Collection, Volume 1: Top 50 Doo Wop &... (CD)
$12.33 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 47,870
- UPC: 090431503522
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD)
$23.42 Super Savings
Oldies: Doowop Music Categories:
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Jewel Akens Very Best of Jewel Akens (CD) ~ $7.49 on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts The Best of Lee Andrews & The Hearts (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts Biggest Hits (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE