- Full Screen Presentation
- Dolby Digital Audio
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Commentary By Film Historian Ken Barnes
- Exlusive Archive Interview With Frank Sinatra
- Stills And Posters Gallery
- Interview With Academy Award Winning Composer Elmer Bernstein
- Audio Visual Montage Of "The Man With The Golden Arm " Recording Featuring The DVD Debut Of Frank Sinatra's Vocal Of The Title Song (Not Used In The Commercial Release Of The Film)
- Cast And Crew Bios
- Production Background
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 18, 2005
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: Arts Alliance Amer
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Original Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Audio/Visual Montage (Features Frank Sinatra's vocal of the title song)
- Audio Commentary: Ken Barnes - Film Historian
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Production Interviews:
- Frank Sinatra - Star
- Elmer Bernstein - Composer
- Biographies: Cast, Crew
- Production Background
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 07/29/1994
"...Still a riveting depiction of the lower depths, with Frank Sinatra giving a surprisingly sensitive and detailed performance..." -- Rating: A-
New York Times - 10/11/2005
"Preminger defied the contemporary trend toward location shooting by photographing almost all of GOLDEN ARM on a claustrophobic New York street set built on an RKO soundstage, a defiantly expressionistic approach that Preminger would return to and amplify with his brilliant PORGY AND BESS."
Premiere - 11/01/2005
3.5 stars out of 4 -- "Its scenes of cold-turkey withdrawal solidified Frank Sinatra's rep as an actor and boosted the career of his raw young costar..."
Entertainment Weekly - 10/28/2005
"[Preminger] makes it work, amping up the claustrophobic tension in beautifully choreographed long takes." -- Grade: B+
Description by OLDIES.com:
50th Anniversary 2-Disc Special Edition!
The Man With The Golden Arm is director Otto Preminger's classic controversial film starring Frank Sinatra as addict Frankie Machine. Based on the award winning novel penned by Nelson Algren this hard hitting look at one man's descent into the hell of drug addiction caused quite a stir when released fifty years ago. Preminger, who had already caused commotion with the ratings board over his earlier release The Moon Is Blue tackles Algren's novel head on and spared no expense at showing the horrifying affects that drugs can have on a man. Released without the seal of approval of the board, the film went on to become one of the biggest money makers of the year. It also became Sinatra's favorite film role.
In the title role Sinatra continued his winning acting ways that got started with From Here To Eternity for which he won an Oscar® for Best Supporting Actor. His portrayal of Machine earned him an Academy Award® nomination for Best Actor. Also in the cast are Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak and Darren McGavin.
This powerful drama, which broached the subject of drug addiction in a stark and realistic manner, may be mild by today's standards, but was a groundbreaking and edgy film in its day. The legendary Frank Sinatra plays addict, Frankie Machine, with Eleanor Parker playing his disabled wife. Based on the novel by Nelson Algren. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM received three Academy Award Nominations, including Best Actor for Frank Sinatra.
After six months of drug rehab, Frankie Machine returns to the seedy Chicago joints where he began and succumbs once more to the dark addictions of professional poker, and -- even more dangerously -- heroin.