Jamiroquai Emergency on Planet Earth
- Released: August 10, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Entertainment Weekly - 8/13/93, p.74"...turn out gritty organic grooves with enthusiasm..." Rating: B+
Q - 3/01, p.1244 stars out of 5 - "...A funky and beautiful record, a contender for best British soul album of the '90s, and frankly better than anything Stevie Wonder has made since HOTTER THAN JULY..."
- 1.When You Gonna Learn (Digeridoo)
- 2.Too Young To Die
- 3.Hooked Up
- 4.If I Like It, I Do It
- 5.Music Of The Mind
- 6.Emergency On Planet Earth
- 7.Whatever It Is, I Just Can't Stop
- 8.Blow Your Mind
- 9.Revolution 1993
- 10.Didgin' Out
Personnel: Jay Kay (vocals); Glenn Nightingale, Gavin Dodds, Simon Bartholomew (guitar); Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra (strings); Mike Smith, Gary Barnacie (flute, saxophone); Wallis Buchanan (didjeridoo); John Thirkell (trumpet); Richard Edwards (trombone); Toby Smith (keyboards); Stuart Zender, Andrew Levy (bass); Nick Van Gelder (drums); Kofi Kari Kari, Maurizio (percussion); D.J. Zire (DJ); Linda Lewis, Vanessa Simon (background vocals).
Includes liner notes by Jay Kay.
Jamiroquai's debut brings together a utopian worldview, funky '70s R&B influences and the liberated sensibility of England's burgeoning acid-jazz movement. The band, led by singer Jason "Jay" Kay, rides a funky groove while spreading a message of peace, love and environmental conscientiousness. The results of this meeting of heart and head range from Brazilian-flavored instrumentals like "Music Of The Mind" to to songs like "If I Like It, I Do It," on which yesterday's jazzy soul is spun around on today's hip-hoppy turntables.
Jamiroquai also flexes its improvisational muscle on two songs that clock in at over eight minutes. On "Blow Your Mind," Kay scats like George Benson, and the band captures the funky flow of "Summer Madness"-era Kool & The Gang. "Revolution 1993" is a 10-minute vamp on self-determination, featuring an Afro-Caribbean rhythm, Herbie Mann-inspired flute, a raging Moog synthesizer and the darting strings of the Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Return of the Space Cowboy [Deluxe Ed.] (2-CD)(52)
$9.90 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 56 ratings.
Based on 56 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 73,930
- UPC: 886977300820
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
R&B: Acid Jazz Music Categories:
- Akimbo Navigating the Bronze (CD) ~ $16.18
$10.56 Super Savings
- Better Daze One Street Over (CD) ~ $15.08
Bone Deep (CD)
$8.25 Super Savings
- The Brand New Heavies All About the Funk (CD) ~ $17.08
Top ranking titles in the Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection series:
- The Monkees Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Thelonious Monk 'Round Midnight And Other Jazz Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Grace Slick Best of Grace Slick (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Blood, Sweat & Tears Blood, Sweat and Tears (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Frank Sinatra Classics And Standards (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE