Earl Lewis & The Channels New York's Finest!
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$5.52 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.45 (57% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Masters of the classic Doo Wop style, Earl Lewis & The Channels recorded songs that still remain big request favorites on Oldies stations. This collection showcases the group's early work on the Whirlin Disc label.
- 1.Closer You Are
- 2.Stars In The Sky
- 3.My Love Will Never Die
- 4.The Girl Next Door
- 5.What Do You Do (Fast Version)
- 6.My Heart Is Sad
- 7.Gleam In Your Eyes
- 8.Now You Know
- 9.I Really Love You
- 10.Bye Bye Baby
- 11.My Lovin Baby
- 12.What Do You Do (Jump Version)
- 13.Flames In My Heart
- 14.I Really Love You (Slow Version)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes liner notes by Charlie Horner.
Personnel: Earl Lewis (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Charlie Horner.
One of New York's finest early doo wop groups' early sides from 1956 to 1961 first recorded on Whirling Disc, Fury, and Port Records. Only two Gone releases (from 1957-1958) are missing -- must be a licensing problem. The Channels were not only unique vocally, Earl Lewis' leads rank up there and Clifton Wright's bass expressions gets A's for creativity; but if you didn't know the Channels were five African-Americans you could only guess at their ethnicity. As Eddie Levert (the O'Jays) once said about the song "Wildflower" the first time he heard it: "I thought it was a white guy trying to do a black thing but discovered it was a black guy (Donny Gerrard, an African-American, was Skylark's lead singer) doing a white thing." The Channels deliver buttery, stuttering doo wop at its best -- check out "I Really Love You," "Flames in My Heart," or "The Gleam in Your Eyes"; they were also exquisite at jump R&B, i.e., "What Do You Do" and "My Loving Baby." Lewis wrote many of these tracks only to find producer/record label owner Bobby Robinson's name listed as co-writer when the record came out. Such is music, such is life. Essential for doo wop lovers. ~ Andrew Hamilton
The MoonglowsThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$8.84 LABOR DAY
Ultimate Doo Wop Collection, Volume 1: Top 50 Doo Wop &... (CD)
$10.48 LABOR DAY
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 (6-CD Box Set)
$21.21 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,229
- UPC: 090431501221
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
Oldies: Doowop Music Categories:
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Jewel Akens Very Best of Jewel Akens (CD) ~ $6.37 LABOR DAY
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts / The Capris Lee Andrews & The Hearts Meet The Capris (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE