Joe Meek Shall Inherit the Earth
- Released: September 15, 2004
- Label: Cobra
- 1.It's Just a Matter of Time
- 2.Be Mine
- 3.Jack the Ripper
- 4.North Wind - Bill Fadden & the Mostly Losers
- 5.Who's the Girl?
- 6.Wild Wind
- 7.Cumberland Gap - The Ugly Dog Skiffle Combo
- 8.My Baby Doll
- 10.Little Baby - Bill Fadden & the Mostly Losers
- 11.Don't You Think It's Time?
- 12.Johnny Remember Me
- 13.'Til the Following Night
- 14.Howlin' for My Baby - The Bad Detectives
- 15.Fireball - Howlin' Wilson
- 16.No More Tomorrows
- 17.You Got What I Like - JD & the Chasers
- 18.Poison Ivy
- 19.Just Like Eddie - Guy Burnette & the Western All-Stars
- 20.Have I the Right? - Roger Chivers & the Western All-Stars
- 21.This Little Girl's Gone Rockin'
- 22.Don't You Rock Me Daddy-O - The Ugly Dog Skiffle Combo
- 23.A Tribute to Buddy Holly
- 24.Telstar - Howlin' Wilson
- 25.Crawdaddy Simone - The Bad Detectives
Tributee: Joe Meek.
Liner Note Author: Geoff Barker.
Recording information: Western Star Studio, Bristol, UK.
A tribute compilation that celebrates the work of the at-times brilliantly eccentric British music producer Joe Meek, this set complements rather than replaces Meek's original 1950s and 1960s versions of these songs. Everything here was recorded at Alan Wilson's Western Star Studios and only artists who have recorded at the studio for Wilson are included -- Western Star never releases anything that is tracked elsewhere. Although these versions certainly don't diminish Meek's originals -- part of Meek's appeal was his kitchen sink-styled productions that were big on often accidental atmospherics rather than deliberate professional polish -- the best of these redos illuminate and update the strengths of the originals. Highlights include Mike Berry's bright and hopeful retake (he recorded the original version for Meek) of "It's Just a Matter of Time," the skiffle punk of the traditional "Cumberland Gap" by the Ugly Dog Skiffle Combo, Bill Fadden's run through "Little Baby," Roger Chivers' update of the Honeycombs' "Have I the Right?," and Howlin' Wilson's faithful recasting of the classic instrumental "Telstar." ~ Steve Leggett
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!