- 1.37:1 ASPECT RATIO
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 23, 2013
- Originally Released: 1949
- Label: Olive Films
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.37
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1949 -
Best Film Editing: Harry Gerstad
An unscrupulous boxer fights his way to the top, but eventually alienates all of the people who helped him on the way up. One of the all-time great boxing movies. Academy Award Nominations: 6, including Actor--Kirk Douglas, Best Screenplay. Academy Awards: Best Film Editing.
The tragic tale of a hard-bitten prizefighter who rises to the top of his profession but can't erase the scars of his underprivileged youth. In his struggle to get ahead, middleweight champ Midge Kelly ends up ruthlessly using -- and abusing -- everyone close to him: his manager, the various women in his life, and, finally, even his crippled brother.
Classic Fight Scenes |
Theatrical Release |
- Additional cast members: John Day (Johnny Dunne); Harry Shannon (Lew Bryce)
- Additional music credit: "Never Be It Said" by Dimitri Tiomkin and Goldie Goldmark.