|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: February 28, 2006
- Originally Released: 1931
- Label: Alpha Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Joan Blondell, Robert Ames, Lilyan Tashman, John Halliday, James Hall, Anita Louise, Edmund Breese, Frank McHugh, Frank Parker & Charlotte Walker|
|Directed by||John Francis Dillon|
|Written by||Charles Kenyon & Ralph Murphy|
|Cinematography by||Ernest Haller|
|Produced by||Harry Joe Brown & Charles R. Rogers|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Considered racy for its time, Millie is notable for a thinly veiled portrayal of lesbian lovers, played by Joan Blondell (known for being James Cagney's favorite leading lady) and Lilyan Tashman (Nellie Bly in 1936's Frankie and Johnnie, her last film before dying of cancer at age 34). Helen Twelvetrees, a 1929 winner of the WAMPAS Baby Stars (a yearly selection of 13 promising starlets chosen by The Western Association of Motion Picture Advertisers), is best remembered for her role opposite a young and villainous Clark Gable in The Painted Desert (1931). John Halliday starred in Desire (1936) and a few years later, played Katharine Hepburn's philandering father in The Philadelphia Story (1940).
This film was produced prior to the Hays Office controls on censoring films and is evident, even by today's standards, as to what all the fuss was about.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Sharp print of a tawdry pre-Code melodrama, interesting for the Joan Blondell character's fairly open lesbian relationship, even showing the two of them in bed together, and the second-rate and tired double-entendre and transparently indicated sexual situations that by 1934 would be gone from movies for a generation due to censorship. Good studio production values- an RKO picture that fell out of copyright.
Enjoyable pre-Hollywood code film that relates 19 years in the life of Mille from sweet and innocent small town girl to sophisticated city woman. Helen Twelvetrees is most enjoyable as Millie with Joan Blondell equally captivating as her friend Angie. Film and audio quality are excellent making the movie feel a bit more modern and not as old as it actually is. If you are a fan of movie classics from the 1930s and of the pre code films in particular, this one belongs in your library.
- Sales Rank: 13,099
- UPC: 089218496997
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE