- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: Animeigo
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Daigor's History Lesson
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Program Notes
- Stills/Photos: Restoration Gallery
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 09/12/2006
"[A] highly influential exploitation film from 1980 that cuts together sequences from the first two features in the Japanese 'Lone Wolf and Cub' series into a single movie..."
Total Film - 02/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "The swordplay looks as sharp as a freshly forged Katana, but the bond between father and son remains the most disarming facet of his saga."
A shogun master turns against lone wolf, his faithful head-cutting samurai servant. Lone wolf is forced into battle against the shogun, the shogun's son, and a host of shogun ninja warriors....
Lone Wolf, once an executioner for the Shogun, seeks revenge on his former boss and his Ninja flock after they kill his wife.
Martial Arts |
- "Shogun Assassin" was adapted from two Japanese films, "Baby-Cart at the River Styx" and "Sword of Vengeance." These works were part of a more extensive "Baby-Cart" series that followed the adventures of Lone Wolf and his son.
Only 12 minutes of "Sword of Vengeance," the first entry in the series, are used in the American version.
The footage from the Japanese originals was reedited, and American actors synched the dialogue; an original score and new sound effects were added.