Left of the Dial: Dispatches from the '80s Underground (4-CD)
by Various Artists
- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: October 12, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone - p.1044 stars out of 5 - "[V]irtually all of these songs and recordings have held up beautifully."
Entertainment Weekly - p.69"[T]his is like the great college radio station that never was..." - Grade: A-
Uncut - p.943 stars out of 5 - "[I]ts 82 tracks document countless musical impulses....This eclecticism - punk's ideals brought to life - is testament to an era of idealistic, artistic oasis, one pulsing with urgency and defiance."
Alternative Press - p.98"[A] comprehensive compendium of the best the '80s underground had to offer."
Magnet - p.97"[A] success....Non-mainstream rock splintered and spiraled in a dozen compelling directions, instigating a creative boom whose aftershocks still rumble and whose epicenter deserves the kind of revisit LEFT OF THE DIAL does its best to inspire."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.R.E.M.Radio Free Europe
- 2.The JamGoing Underground
- 3.The CureA Forest
- 4.The Dead KennedysHoliday In Cambodia
- 5.PassionsI'm In Love With A German Film Star
- 6.The ReplacementsI Will Dare
- 7.Mission Of BurmaThat's When I Reach For My Revolver
- 8.XJohny Hit And Run Paulene
- 9.Jesus & Mary ChainJust Like Honey
- 10.Depeche ModeBlack Celebration
- 11.Dream SyndicateTell Me When It's Over
- 12.Red Hot Chili PeppersHollywood (Africa)
- 13.New OrderTemptation
- 15.MagazineA Song From Under The Floorboards
- 16.Aztec CameraOblivious
- 17.Husker DuDon't Want To Know If You Are Lonely
- 18.Black FlagRise Above
- 19.Wall Of VoodooBack In Flesh
- 20.The Go-BetweensCattle And Cane
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.The PretendersMessage Of Love
- 3.Dinosaur Jr.Freak Scene
- 4.The SmithsThis Charming Man
- 6.Lone JusticeWays To Be Wicked
- 7.Killing JokeWardance
- 8.Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (O.M.D.)Enola Gay
- 9.English BeatMirror In The Bathroom
- 10.The RaincoatsFairytale In The Supermarket
- 11.The SmithereensBehind The Wall Of Sleep
- 12.The MinutemenPolitical Song For Michael Jackson To Sing
- 13.The Dead MilkmenPunk Rock Girl
- 14.Concrete BlondeStill In Hollywood
- 15.Joy DivisionLove Will Tear Us Apart
- 16.The Violent FemmesBlister In The Sun
- 17.Meat PuppetsLake Of Fire
- 18.The dB'sAmplifier
- 19.Prefab SproutWhen Love Breaks Down
- 20.The CrampsGoo Goo Muck
- 21.Sisters Of MercyThis Corrosion
- 22.XTCSenses Working Overtime
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Echo & The BunnymenThe Cutter
- 2.Bad BrainsPay To Cum!
- 3.The SugarcubesBirthday
- 4.Robyn HitchcockMadonna Of The Wasps
- 5.Faith No MoreWe Care A Lot
- 6.Sonic YouthTeen Age Riot
- 7.Gang Of FourTo Hell With Poverty
- 8.The FeeliesFe Ce-La
- 9.They Might Be GiantsAng Ng
- 10.ChameleonsSwamp Thing
- 11.Nick CaveThe Mercy Seat
- 12.Rain ParadeI Look Around
- 13.The Psychedelic FursAll That Money Wants
- 14.The ChurchUnder The Milky Way
- 15.Public Image Ltd.Rise
- 16.Love & RocketsKundalini Express
- 17.Green On RedGravity Talks
- 18.Throbbing GristleAdrenalin
- 19.The Stone RosesShe Bangs The Drums
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.The PixiesMonkey Gone To Heaven
- 2.The TheUncertain Smile (original 7" version)
- 3.BauhausBela Lugosi's Dead
- 4.Siouxsie & The BansheesChristine
- 5.Minor ThreatStraight Edge
- 6.LyresI Want To Help You Ann
- 7.Beat HappeningOur Secret
- 8.Jane's AddictionJane Says
- 9.Julian CopeWorld Shut Your Mouth
- 10.Kate BushRunning Up That Hill
- 11.The Gun ClubSex Beat
- 12.Camper Van BeethovenTake The Skinheads Bowling
- 13.Suicidal TendenciesInstitutionalized
- 14.Cocteau TwinsPearly-Dewdrops' Drop
- 15.Happy Mondays24 Hour Party People
- 16.Hoodoo GurusI Want You Back
- 17.DescendentsSuburban Home
- 18.The PoguesA Pair Of Brown Eyes
- 19.The Three O'ClockJet Fighter
- 20.Butthole SurfersMoving To Florida
- 21.Billy BraggA New England
Personnel: Matt Piucci (vocals, guitar, sitar); Jasper Thread (vocals, guitar, accordion); Cosey Fanni Tutti (vocals, guitar, cornet); Peter Holsapple (vocals, guitar, organ); Matt Johnson (vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion); Chris Cacavas, John Flasnburgh, David Faulkner, Al Jourgensen (vocals, guitar, keyboards); David Roback, Brad Shepherd (vocals, guitar, percussion); Chris Molla, Chris Stamey, Chrissie Hynde, Curt Kirkwood, D. Boon, Daniel Ash, Dave Wakeling, David Lowery, Paul John Weller, Gordon Gano, Louis Gutierrez, Grant McLennan, Jim Reid, Ian McCulloch, J Mascis, Julian Cope, Lee Ranaldo, Midge Ure , Ana Da Silva, Paddy McAloon, Pat DiNizio, Andy Partridge, Philip Chevron, Robert Forster , Robyn Hitchcock, Roddy Frame, Shane MacGowan, Steve Wynn, Thurston Moore, Barbara Gogan, William Reid, Bernard Albrecht, Bernard Sumner, Billy Bragg, Black Francis , Dan Stuart, Bob Mould, Clive Timperley (vocals, guitar); Bill Million (vocals, acoustic guitar); Glenn Mercer (vocals, electric guitar, shaker, temple blocks); Paul Westerberg (vocals, electric 12-string guitar, mandolin); Jeffrey Lee Pierce (vocals, slide guitar); Vicki Aspinall, Jonathan Segel (vocals, violin); Spider Stacy (vocals, tin whistle); John Linnell (vocals, accordion, keyboards); Genesis P-Orridge (vocals, clarinet); Einar ™rn (vocals, trumpet); Jeff "Monoman" Conolly (vocals, organ); Martin Gore, Paul Humphreys (vocals, keyboards, synthesizer); David Sylvian (vocals, keyboards, tapes); Mike Mariano, Jaz Coleman , Stan Ridgway, Billy Currie, Bj”rk Gudmundsdottir (vocals, keyboards); Andy McCluskey (vocals, synthesizer); Dennis Diken, Grant Hart, Andrew Ranken (vocals, drums); Chuck Mosley, Colin Moulding, Siouxsie Sioux, Cris Kirkwood, David J, Dez Cadena, Elizabeth Fraser , Exene Cervenka, Mark Burgess, Gibby Haynes, Gina Birch, Rodney Amadeus Anonymus, Rankin Roger, Henry Rollins, Howard Devoto, Ian Brown, Ian Curtis, Ian MacKaye, Jack Waterson, Clyde Bramley, David Gahan, Jello Biafra, John Doe , John Lydon, Johnette Napolitano, Jon King, Kim Gordon, Klaus Flouride, Lou Barlow, Lux Interior, Maria McKee, Michael Stipe , Mike Mesaros, Mike Muir, Milo Aukerman, Andrew Eldritch, Patricia Morrison, Perry Farrell, Peter Murphy, Anthony Kiedis, Richard Butler, Shaun Ryder, Steve Kilbey, Steven Roback, Victor Krummenacher, Wendy Smith, Youth, Michael Quercio, Bruce Foxton, Cait O'Riordan, Calvin Johnson (vocals); John McGeoch (guitar, 12-string guitar, Farfisa, background vocals); Ward Dotson (guitar, slide guitar); Johnny Marr (guitar, harmonica); Andrew Fletcher (guitar, drum machine); Joey Santiago (guitar, background vocals); Clint Conley, Grant Estes, Robert Smith , David Gregory, Dave Navarro, East Bay Ray, Thor Eldon Jonson, Frank Navetta, Ryan Hedgecock, Greg Ginn, Greg Lisher, Hillel Slovak, Danny McCormack, Mark "Cow" Day, James Honeyman-Scott, James Mankey , Jim Babjak, Jim Martin, John Ashton, John Squire, Karl Precoda, Kid Congo Powers, Alan Murphy, Lyle Preslar, Marty Willson-Piper, Mike Campbell , Andrew Gill, Andy Cox, Paul Leary, Peter Buck , Peter Koppes, Poison Ivy, Robin Guthrie, Roger Miller , Steve Vai, Will Sergeant, Billy Zoom, Bret Lunsford, Bob Stinson, Marc Moreland (guitar); Donald Ross Skinner (electric guitar, slide guitar); Jem Finer (banjo); Will Glenn (violin, keyboards); Karen Karlsrud, Corine Metter (violin); Henry Benagh (fiddle); Arthur Fiacco, Ann Rorich (cello); Shankar (strings); Crispin Cioe (flute, saxophone); Tommy Keane (Uilleann pipe); James Fearnley (accordion, piano); Maceo Parker, Saxa (saxophone); Benny Cowan (trumpet); Fred Wesley (trombone); Dick Cuthell (horns); Benmont Tench (piano, organ); Joe Kernich (piano); Double DeHarrison (Clavinet, organ); Ray Manzarek (organ); Chris Carter, Gillian Gilbert, Thomas Dolby, Charles T. Gray (keyboards, synthesizer); Steve Jansen (keyboards, drums, electronics); Richard Barbieri (keyboards, tapes); Andy Metcalfe (keyboards, background vocals); Dave Formula, Paul Davis , Roland Barker, Bernie Clarke, Einar Mellax, Mathieu Hartley, Roddy Bottum, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Greg Kuehn, Bruce Moreland (keyboards); Peter Christopherson (synthesizer, tapes); Awesome Welles (Synclavier); Chris Mars (drums, tambourine); Malcolm Holmes, Dave Ruffy, Kevin Haskins , Sigtryggur Baldursson, Joe Nanini (drums, percussion); Earl Hudson, Reni , Dean Clean, Lindy Morrison (drums, background vocals); Chris Whitten, Danny Benair, Cliff Martinez, Stuart Elliot, Neil Conti, Paul Ferguson, D.J. Bonebrake, Richard Williams, Eddie Kalwa, Dennis Duck, Derrick Bostrom, Don Heffington, Everett Morton, Jeff Nelson & Covenant, Heather Lewis, Gary Whelan, George Hurley, Terry Chambers, Ginger Baker, Doktor Avalanche, Alex MacNicol, Warren Cann, Harry Rushakoff, Hugo Burnham, King Coffey, Nick Knox, Palmolive, James "Iron Head" Baker, Bill Berry , Anthony Guess, John Doyle , Budgie , Mike Joyce, Amery AWOL Smith, Morris Windsor, Murph, Paul Murphy , Pete de Freitas, Peter Prescott, Richard Ploog, Rick Buckler, Robo, Stephen Morris, Stephen Perkins , Steve Shelley, Victor de Lorenzo, Vince Ely, Will Rigby, Bill Rieflin, Bill Stevenson, Terry Graham, Martin Chambers, Bobby Gillespie, David Lovering (drums); Anton Fier (bass drum, snare drum); Bobbye Hall (tambourine); Bez (percussion, dancer); Michael Farmer (percussion); Alan Wilder (electronics); Dr. Know, Joel Virgel, Louis Kabbabie, Lord Maniac, Garry Shider, George Clinton , Darryl, Shirley Hayden, Steve Boyd, Mike Payne, Andre Williams, Pat Lewis, Barry Adamson, New York Choral Society, Robert "Billy" Johnson (background vocals).
Audio Remasterers: Dave Schultz; Dan Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Authors: Mark Leviton; Gary Stewart; Karen Schoemer; John Srebalus; Anthony Wilson ; Tim Scanlin; Karen Schoemer; Gary Stewart; Kathleen Billus; Steve Wynn.
Illustrator: John Seabury.
Photographers: Steve Double; Lynn Goldsmith; Fabio Nosotti; Mike Proir; Fraser Gray; Erica Echenberg; Richard "Dread" Mann; Lisa Haun; Joe Hughes ; Claudia Thompson; Ross Marino; Patricia Steur; Catherine McGann; Ebet Roberts; Pieter Maz‚l; Andy Freeberg; Ian Tilton; B.C. Kagan; Chris Walter; Glen E. Friedman; Glenn A. Baker; Paul Cox; George Moore ; Julian Barton; Monica Dee; Steve Jennings; Scott Weiner; Charles Peterson ; Fredrich Cantor; Virginia Turbett; Stephanie Chernikowski; Fin Costello; Tony Mottram; Sue Brisk; Kristin Callahan; Marcia Resnick; Janette Beckman; Derek Ridgers; George DuBose; Paul Slattery; Laura Levine; Simon Fowler ; Tom Sheehan .
Unknown Contributor Roles: Matt Johnson ; Bill Million.
The '80s compilation is a dicey operation; many sounds danced about in glorious contrast, and one person's nirvana is the next person's nightmare. LEFT OF THE DIAL focuses on the college radio of the era (the music that truly fostered the alternative boom of the next decade), and paints a deliriously diverse picture of an underground bursting at its seams to break through. Alongside early classics from the Replacements, Depeche Mode, and R.E.M. (and the compilation gleefully steers away from the obvious) are minor classics from Magazine and Hoodoo Gurus. And the prismatic four-disc set runs the gamut from hardcore (Minor Threat, Bad Brains) to pure pop (XTC, They Might Be Giants, the Smiths) to capture the spectral flow of the decade behind the decade.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 36 ratings.
Based on 36 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!