- Released: May 9, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Piece of My Heart - (featuring Big Brother & The Holding Company)
- 2.Cry Baby
- 3.Me and Bobby McGee
- 4.Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)
- 5.One Good Man
- 6.Move Over
- 7.I Need a Man to Love - (featuring Big Brother & The Holding Company)
- 8.Turtle Blues - (featuring Big Brother & The Holding Company)
- 9.A Woman Left Lonely
- 10.One Night Stand - (featuring The Paul Butterfield Blues Band)
Recording information: 1968-1970.
As its title suggests, this album is a Reader's Digest version of psychedelic-era blues siren Janis Joplin's stellar but too-brief career. Joplin left behind a pretty skimpy legacy, so SUPER HITS can't help but hit many of the high points.
Her definitive version of Kris Kristofferson's "Me & Bobby McGee" is here, showing her gift for spinning a narrative yarn. The pleading, wailing blues and soul of "Piece of My Heart" and "Cry Baby" demonstrate Joplin investing her entire soul in her performances, pouring every ounce of energy and emotion into the songs. This can't quite be called a definitive compilation, since it omits the tour-de-force "Ball & Chain," but SUPER HITS is a concise look at what made Joplin one of the great voices of her generation.