The Band Perry Pioneer
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.31 (9% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 2, 2013
- Label: Republic
- 1.Better Dig Two
- 3.Don't Let Me Be Lonely
- 5.Forever Mine Nevermind
- 6.Night Gone Wasted
- 7.I Saw a Light
- 8.Mother Like Mine
- 10.I'm a Keeper
- 11.Back to Me Without You
- 12.End of Time
Personnel: Ilya Toshinskly (acoustic guitar, resonator guitar, banjo); Jerry McPherson (electric guitar); Dann Huff (electric 12-string guitar); Dan Dugmore (steel guitar, dobro); Paul Franklin (steel guitar, sitar); Neil Perry (bouzouki, mandolin); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); Jim Hoke (pennywhistle); Charlie Judge (piano, Hammond b-3 organ, keyboards, synthesizer); Aaron Sterling (drums); David Huff (percussion, programming); Eric Darken (percussion); Cherie Oakley (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Justin Niebank.
Recording information: Blackbird Studios, Nashville, TN; Westlake Recording Studios, West Hollywood, CA.
Photographers: David McClister; Neil Perry; Ben Krebs.
Starting with the threats of "Better Dig Two," there's a swagger that underpins much of Pioneer, the second album from family country-pop trio the Band Perry. This boldness never quite dissipates under the thunderous cloud of big ballads, of which there are many here. Almost all the attitude derives from Kimberly Perry, who retains a sense of palpable defiance even in the quietest moments, her vigor lending passion to music that is deliberately designed to appeal to the widest possible audience as it blurs the line between contemporary country and pop. At times, this desire to be everything to everyone leads to some seriously odd juxtapositions, as on the shred-guitar fireworks of the coda of "Forever Mine Nevermind" -- a grace note Spinal Tap would have been proud to achieve -- and the gurgling talkbox and mandolin war on "I'm a Keeper." These accidental oddities along with Kimberly Perry's fiercely committed vocals give Pioneer a character it otherwise works overtime to avoid and, for as good as the by-the-books ballads and rocking country are, the moments when the fa‡ade slips a bit make this worth hearing as an album and not a collection of singles. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Buy For Me The Rain / Dance Little Jean (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE