Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 2, 2013
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Note: "Feel Alright" music video
- The Wonders! Big In Japan!
- The story of The Wonders
- Making That Thing You Do!
- That Thing You Do! reunion
- HBO First Look: The Making Of That Thing You Do!
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Tom Everett Scott,
Ethan Embry &
Steve Zahn &
Gary Goetzman &
Director of Photography:
Rolling Stone - 10/17/1996
"...A brightly entertaining blend of humor and heartbreak..."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/01/1996
"...Lovingly crafted....Sly irony..." -- Rating: A-
Variety - 09/23/1996
"...An immensely likable, sweet-natured tale....The quartet of band members is credibly and winsomely played with standout work from the handsome Scott..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/04/1996
"...Tom Hanks understands likable....Everett Scott is appropriately handsome and charming....Hanks and company allow us to dream..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/04/1996
"...It remembers with great warmth a time and a place..."
Ultimate DVD - 08/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "A real feelgood movie..."
A cautionary pop fable following the meteoritic rise of "The Wonders," a fictitious foursome during the early days of pop-rock fandom. When jazz drummer Guy Patterson fills in for a session with a friend's band, a hit single is born and the smalltown boys find themselves riding a rollercoaster of success, guided by the opportunistic hand of a smooth-talking record label agent. Fun, cheerful, and innocent. Hanks' directorial debut. Academy Award Nominations: Best Original Song ("That Thing You Do").
Set in the 1964 and steeped in Americana, this film chronicles the meteoric rise -- and equally quick demise -- of a music group called The Wonders. The talented musicians start out playing in neighborhood joints. That changes after they meet a shrewd record executive, who advises the boys on how to dress, act and sing. Soon their song, "That Thing You Do," hits #1, and the group is on top of the world. Unfortunately, the song is The Wonders's only hit. And that's just one reason why the group's collapse happens so quickly...
Coming Of Age |
Rags To Riches |
Rock And Roll |
- Theatrical Release: October 4, 1996
- Shown at the 1996 Toronto Film Festival.
- Co-produced by Clinica estetico, in association with Clavius Base.
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Additional cast: Charlize Theron (Tina) and Chris Ellis (Horace)