- Released: November 8, 2011
- Label: Ghost Note Records
Down Beat - 8/95, p.514 Stars
- Very Good - "...Together with Reggie Washington's slap-happy electric bass, [drummer Gene] Lake's mid-tempo backbeats, modified with displaced accents, give DEF TRANCE BEAT a pervasive hip-hop feel..."
- 2.Verifiable Pedagogy [From Pedagogy and Confirmation]
- 4.Multiplicity of Approaches (the Afrikan Way of Knowing)
- 5.Khu, The (Divine Will)
- 6.Pad Thai
- 7.Jeannie's Sizzling [From Fire Revisited and Jeannine I Dream of Lilac Time]
- 8.Patterns of Force
- 9.Mantra, The (Intonation of Power)
- 10.Salt Peanuts
Steve Coleman & Five Elements: Steve Coleman (alto saxophone); Ravi Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Andy Milne (piano, keyboards); Reggie Washington (electric bass); Gene Lake (drums, percussion).
Additional personnel: Craig Handy (tenor saxophone); Matthew Garrison (electric bass); Michael Wimberly (djembe, cowbell); Jalal Sharriff (djun djun); Kwe Yao Agyapan (bongos, congas, djun djun, djembe); Ronnie Roc (bongos, talking drum).
Recorded at Systems Two, Brooklyn, New York from June 14-17, 1994.