- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 26, 2013
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Shout Factory Theatr
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio Commentary by Director Stuart Gordon and the Cast
- New Interviews with Barbara Crampton
- The Director's Perspective Featurette
- The Editing Room: Lost And Found Featurette
- Interview with Composer Richard Band
- Photo Gallery
- Storyboard-To-Film Comparisons with Introduction
- Director's Cut
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 10/24/1986
"...Funny in the way of pulp fiction condescended to by superior intellects and special effects experts..."
Variety - 10/29/1986
"...An effectively gruesome horror entry that should please fans of the genre....The greatest pleasure the film offers is afforded by Barbara Crampton, who is centerstage most of the time and proves a constant delight to watch..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/31/1986
"...[The film] takes us back to the glory days of low-budget screamers....FROM BEYOND is a horror movie with some deliciously slimy tricks for the kids, but some shocking treats for grown-ups too..."
USA Today - 09/21/2007
3 stars out of 4 -- "[Crampton] lands in the B-movie queen hall of fame. As crazed as its predecessor."
Total Film - 05/01/2013
4 stars out of 5 -- "Loopy, gloopy, and very, very '80s."
The second H.P. Lovecraft adaptation by Stuart Gordon, FROM BEYOND is pure Lovecraftian science-terror. Out-there scientist Dr. Pretorious (Ted Sorel) and his assistant, Dr. Tillinghast (Jeffery Combs), are working towards breaking through earthly perceptions and revealing a new alternate universe. They do this by stimulating the pineal gland of the human brain, which enables people to see the strange creatures that inhabit a parallel dimension. Unfortunately, these creatures can now see humans as well, and they are none too pleased with it. Dr. Pretorious is killed by the floating monstrosities, but the police blame his assistant for the murder and lock him up. Only Dr. Katharine McMichaels (Barbara Crampton) believes the insane tales of Dr. Tillinghast, and it's up to her to shut down the experiment that threatens to unleash the other-dimensional creatures on this universe forever. Great special effects and solid performances by Combs and Crampton complement a near-perfect realization by Gordon of Lovecraft's vividly detailed and chilling vision of scientific possibilities.
In FROM BEYOND, a beautiful psychiatrist investigates the death of Dr. Pretorious, a mad scientist who has created a device that activates a deadly sixth sense in humans. This strange ability, however, proves to be a curse, as it unleashes terrifying creatures from another dimension.
Mad Doctor |
- Theatrical Release: October 24, 1986
FROM BEYOND is based on the H.P. Lovecraft short story of the same name.
The character of Dr. Bloch is named after Robert Bloch, who was a pen-pal of H.P. Lovecraft and also the writer of the classic horror film PSYCHO.
- The music for FROM BEYOND was composed by the producer's brother, Richard Band, who also did the score for RE-ANIMATOR and DOLLS.