The Mechanical Man (1921) / Headless Horseman (1922) (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 27, 2005
- Originally Released: 1921
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Will Rogers, Lois Meredith & Andre Deed|
|Directed by||Andre Deed & Edward D. Venturini|
Description by OLDIES.com:
This ultra-rare, nearly forgotten silent horror epic from the dawn of Italian cinema was long considered lost. The chance discovery of a fragmentary Portugese version led to the release of this new special edition of The Mechanical Man featuring a new musical score and English subtitles. Though missing much of its original footage, this historic work is still a striking and powerful piece of early fantasy film-making featuring one of the few directorial efforts by Andre Deed, a protege of Georges Melies, the godfather of cinema magic.
Headless Horseman (1922, 51 minutes): The year is 1790 and the Dutch villagers of Sleepy Hollow are haunted by the horrific spectre of a headless horseman riding his ghostly horse through the night in search of his severed head. A new schoolteacher, Ichabod Crane from Connecticut, fancies himself above the simple superstitions of the locals. His haughty manner rankles some villagers, but real trouble starts when he courts lovely heiress Katrina, angering Brom Bones, her long-time suitor. Ichabod's true mettle will soon be tested in a frightening midnight confrontation with the dreaded headless horseman.
This silent film adaptation of Washington Irving's tale features authentic-looking costumes and sets that faithfully evoke the period. Will Rogers, the famous Vaudeville performer turned movie actor, is cast against type as the unlikeable Ichabod Crane, but still exudes the charm that won over legions of fans for his later work in radio and talking pictures.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
It is fantastic to see a film that was thought to be lost until so recently. Although some of the scenes are still missing, Alpha Video has done a great job filling in the blanks by giving a plot synopsis and new translations of the title cards. The print of the film isn't the best but since it is the ONLY print known to exist, it really can't be complained about. It also is a print that contains the original color tinting. The film itself is a very strange and halucinatory experience. Also included on the disc is THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN and while it isn't a film of the same caliber as MECHANICAL MAN, it was a nice bonus feature and I enjoyed it. Thanks to the folks at Alpha for making this little slice of early cinema history available to film buffs everywhere.
- Sales Rank: 6,440
- UPC: 089218487391
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE