Gate of Hell
|You Save:||$1.99 (10% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 9, 2013
- Originally Released: 1953
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: An essay by film historian Stephen Prince
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.37
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Machiko Kyô & Kazuo Hasegawa|
|Directed by||Teinosuke Kinugasa|
|Composition by||Yasushi Akutagawa|
|Produced by||Masaichi Nagata|
"GATE OF HELL does have numerous historical virtues, starting with the visual treatment....It was primarily intended to catch the eye."
4 stars out of 5 -- "Stiffly intimate rather than epic, it feels like the most exotic film noir imaginable."
"The sumptuous, Oscar-winning sets look as vibrant as ever..." -- Grade: B+
- The print used for the Home Vision Cinema VHS version is from the Janus collection.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
This is a great film for anyone (1) interested in Japanese films, (2) interested in foreign cultures generally, and (3) just exploring. One has to be open to cultural bias in understanding the motivations in the original story, and it helps to have some understanding of the historical incident that frames the story. But the quality of the the direction by Teinosuke Kinugasa, a contemporary of Akira Kurosawa, makes it a classic that anyone could profit from.
- Sales Rank: 106,781
- UPC: 715515104517
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.