|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 27, 2005
- Originally Released: 1941
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gene Tierney & Bruce Cabot|
|Performer:||Harry Carey, Sr., George Sanders, Cedric Hardwicke, Joseph Calleia, Reginald Gardiner, Carl Esmond, Marc Lawrence, Jeni Le Gon, Dorothy Dandridge, Gilbert Emery & Jester Hairston|
|Directed by||Henry Hathaway|
|Edited by||Dorothy Spencer|
|Screenwriting by||Barre Lyndon & Charles G. Booth|
|Composition by||Miklos Rozsa|
|Produced by||Walter Wanger|
|Director of Photography:||Charles Lang|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The moment an Italian P.O.W. is shot dead by a native with a machine gun, the small brigade vows to seize the illicit weapons. Suspicious that Zia is in league with the gunrunners Crawford hunts her down when she disappears with a mysterious stranger. He is captured by the enemy, and Coombes stages a daring rescue that ignites a furious battle - as well as the Germans' explosive stockpile of guns and ammunition.
Considered one of the most beautiful women in movie history, Gene Tierney appeared in several other films in 1941, including The Shanghai Gesture, Tobacco Road and Belle Starr. Though best remembered for the title role in Laura (1944), Tierney's career is marked by many acclaimed performances, including Heaven Can Wait (1943), The Razor's Edge (1946), The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947), Personal Affair (1953) and Advise and Consent (1962). Tierney received a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance in Leave Her to Heaven (1945).
A year before Sundown, George Sanders appeared in the Academy Award winning Rebecca. One of his first starring roles came two years later in The Moon and Sixpence (1943) and he appeared again with Gene Tierney in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947). Other distinguished films include The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) and the much-acclaimed All About Eve (1950).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 29 ratings.
This is a pretty good WWII film about Nazi attempts to cause native rebellions in East Africa. George Sanders is his usual stiff self. Bruce Cabot is the real star of the film and the center of everything and Gene Tierney is knock-out gorgeous. The last five minutes are a let down as the film sinks into jingoism but the film was made in 1941 and I guess that's to be expected. If for no other reason than to see Gene Tierney, his is a good way to spend an hour and a half.
- Sales Rank: 509
- UPC: 089218486899
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.