A Thousand Beautiful Things
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
13 copies available
|You Save:||$13 (68% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: March 28, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Telarc
JazzTimes - p.101"Luxuriating in a scintillating Latin groove, the seasoned Manhattan Transferee puts her singularly intelligent stamp on well-chosen selections..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Janis Siegel (vocals, background vocals); Janis Siegel; Edmar Casta¤eda (harp); John Ben¡tez (acoustic bass, bass guitar, 6-string bass, background vocals); Brian Lynch (trumpet, flugelhorn); Edsel Gomez (piano, background vocals); Luisito Quintero (drums, percussion, background vocals); Steve Hass (drums, background vocals); Marlon Saunders (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Fran Cathcart.
Recording information: Eastside Sound, New York, NY (06/13/2005-06/16/2005).
Photographer: Luciana Pampalone.
Arranger: Edsel Gomez.
The ninth solo album by Janis Siegel -- an accomplished leader who is nevertheless most famous for her membership in the vocal jazz quartet Manhattan Transfer -- is something that you almost certainly never saw coming: a collection of modern pop songs arranged in an assortment of Latin styles. Gimmicky? Willfully bizarre? Amazingly enough, it's neither. Siegel's strong, supple voice and her consummate taste allow her to bring something new and often subtly complex to every song, without indulging in unnecessary weirdness. Granted, her gifts aren't always sufficient to redeem mediocre material: Bj”rk's "Hidden Place" gives her very little melodic substance to work with, and it makes for an unpromising opening track. But her take on Nellie McKay's "The Suitcase Song" is much more exciting, and the multi-layered Cuban percussion on "I Can't Help It" is brilliant. Even better is the Colombian harp solo on her rendition of Suzanne Vega's "Caramel," and the multi-tracked background vocals on her arrangement of Paul Simon's "Love" are breathtaking. There are many more such moments on this exceptionally fine album. Strongly recommended to jazz and pop fans alike. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 46,040
- UPC: 089408363023
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Mozart: The Beneficient Dervish / The Impresario (CD)(4)
$5.98 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Latin Music Categories:
Claudia Acuna Luna (CD) ~
$15.38 Super Savings
- Afro Cuban Jazz Project Descarga Uno (CD) ~ $15.28
Afro Cuban Jazz Project A Puero Padre: Tributo a Emiliano Salvador (CD) ~
$5.39 Super Savings
- Cyrille Aimée It's a Good Day (CD) ~ $16.18
- Monty Alexander Impressions in Blue (CD) ~ $17.08
Top ranking titles in the Vocals genre:
- Della Reese And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pat Boone The Best of Pat Boone (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists The Stars Of Las Vegas: Nobody Does It Better (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Dean Martin Memories Are Made of This / That's Amore (45) ~ $3
- Bobby Vinton Mr. Lonely / Country Boy (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE