Dateline Europe (aka Foreign Intrigue) - Volume 1
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Dateline Europe (aka Foreign Intrigue), Volume 1 - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
Available in a set:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 23, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Daly & Jerome Thor|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Filmed at beautiful locations with an all European supporting cast by producer Sheldon Reynolds (creator of TV's "Sherlock Holmes" with Ronald Howard), "Dateline Europe" was syndicated from 1951-1953. This smart mix of adventure and suspense is reminiscent of the Cold War film noir The Third Man and the radio program "The Lives of Harry Lime."
Flea Market: Reporters Cannon and Davis race against each other to uncover the culprit who is attempting to pass three million dollars in counterfeit American money through the Parisian black market.
Diamond Bullet: A beautiful fashion model who was a double-agent during the war leads Cannon on a mysterious and deadly chase involving illicit diamonds.
Sleepy Village: A quiet salesman discovers he has inherited money from an American relative. Publicity arouses the murderous intentions of enemies from his past who wish to expose him as an imposter.
Special Bonus - Foreign Intrigue - Hall Of Justice: Newly found democratic justice is put to the test as a powerful war criminal is tried for his crimes.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Early 1950s television saw a number of Cold War and foreign intrigue series like "Dangerous Assignment," "Passport to Danger," "Secret File, USA" and this series, from producer Sheldon Reynolds ("Sherlock Holmes" with Ronald Howard). I purchased this as a "blind buy" and immediately was hooked. Like "Secret File, USA," "Dateline Europe" makes excellent use of English-speaking European casts (mostly Swedish and French) and location filming, and the stories are well handled. The first three episodes in Volume 1 feature Jerome Thor and/or his real-life wife Sydna Scott, while the last episode features the better known James Daly (shown on the front cover of the DVD).
The downside to this release is the relatively poor condition of the episodes, especially the Thor/Scott episodes. They're watchable, to be sure, but are not restored and those who are accustomed to pristine prints found on most modern day DVDs will be disappointed. But, remember, "Dateline Europe" remains a difficult find on home video, so you're really getting the opportunity to see episodes of a series that's not been seen in decades at a very modest price.
As is the case with many of its "Classic TV Series," one has to give Alpha Video much credit for finding these old gems and releasing them. Alpha remains the best company for releasing these vintage television shows of the Cold War era.
- Sales Rank: 9,802
- UPC: 089218483393
- Shipping Weight: 0.28/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Television Movie Categories:
- Albert Collins Live From Austin TX (DVD) ~ $16.79
- Dane Cook Tourgasm (3-DVD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Jackson 5 Jacksons: An American Dream (2-DVD) ~ $26.98
- Spike Jones The Legend (3-Disc + CD) (DVD-R) ~ $33.26 on SALE
Patrick Moraz Future Memories: Live on TV (DVD) ~
$13.21 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Television genre:
- Scarlett - Complete Mini-Series (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Ultraman - Series 1, Volume 1 (2-DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- 90 Funtastic Cartoons (2-DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Benny Hill - Golden Greats (2-DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Definitive Western TV Collection: 600 Episode Box Set (48-DVD) ~ $39.98 on SALE