The Wizard of Oz Collection (Silent)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 23, 2005
- Originally Released: 1914
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Note: This release is a silent film with music score.
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Subtitles - English - Title Card
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Larry Semon, Oliver Hardy & Dorothy Dwan|
|Performer:||Charles Murray & Bryant Washburn|
|Directed by||Larry Semon|
|Story by||L. Frank Baum|
Description by OLDIES.com:
- The Patchwork Girl Of Oz (1914, 65 minutes): The first and perhaps best of Baum's Oz movies follows the adventures of Ojo and his Unc Nunke as they seek a better life. The duo meets Dr. Pipt and Margolotte who conjure to create "the patchwork girl" made out of rags. Intending for her to be the perfect servant, they are surprised when "the Patchwork girl" asserts a will of her own and embarks on a fantastic adventure.
- His Majesty, The Scarecrow Of Oz (1914, 59 minutes): A romantic triangle engulfs the royal Court of Oz as Princess Gloria falls for the gardener's son, Pon, while wicked King Krewl pines for the princess. Krewl summons the voodoo witch Mombi to freeze Gloria's ardor so that he may possess her for himself. When the King rewards Mombi with great power, the wizard, the tin woodsman and the scarecrow must join forces to stop her wickedness.
- The Magic Cloak Of Oz (1914, 38 minutes): The fairies of Oz assemble one moonlit night to create a magic cloak which grants one wish to the wearer. The cloak is to be given to the unhappiest child in the land, Fluff. After their father dies in an accident, Fluff, her brother Bud and their donkey friend Nickodemus are forced to leave home and journey to the land of Noland.
- The Wizard of Oz (1925, 96 minutes): After L. Frank Baum's death in 1919 and the publication of the last Oz book in 1920, L. Frank Baum Jr. sought to keep the series alive by teaming with comedian/director Larry Semon and newcomer Oliver Hardy. The result was the 1925 remake of The Wizard of Oz which focuses on comedy rather than fantasy. Hardy would go on to pair with Stan Laurel and become half of the world's most beloved comic team. While different in tone than the Oz movies of a decade before, the 1925 Wizard of Oz reinvents the story of Dorothy, the scarecrow and the tin woodsman in a slapstick and humorous light.
Framed around an aging toy builder, this tale follows young Dorothy on her journey to Oz. En route the magical land, she meets such colorful and eccentric characters as The Scarecrow, Countess Vishus and, of course, The Wizard himself!
- Produced by The Oz Film Company.
- The American Home Entertainment VHS version (Cat. #AHE-331) is part of the collector's set titled "L. Frank Baum's Silent Film Collection of Oz."
- American Home Entertainment has added a new music score, by Marc Glassman, and new narration, by Jacqueline Lovell, to the soundtrack.
- A Chadwick production.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 37 ratings.
Great collection of silent films. I don't enjoy the last one, But the first 3 are great. "The Patchwork Girl of Oz" is quite charming!
If you never buy another movie or, if you have never seen a silent movie, then you owe it to yourself to get this great collection. I think what makes these films so wonderful is the fact that 3 of them were acutaly directed by L. Frank Baum, The author of The Oz books, through his Oz Motion Picture Company. Sadly Baum never filmed, "The Wizard of OZ," that was left to Larry Seaman. Of the 4 Oz movies in this collection my least favorite is "The Wizaed of Oz" There is nothing to it that even resembles "The Wizard of Oz." But it is worth watching if only just for film history alone.
I hope that Alpha & Nina's will continue to bring us these classic gems from the early years of motion pictures.
- Sales Rank: 1,734
- UPC: 089218483195
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
!!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~
$15.95 Super Savings
!!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~
$6 Super Savings
The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~
$13.17 Super Savings
The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~
$10.38 Super Savings
"A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~
$7.49 Super Savings
2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~
$15.96 Super Savings
2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~
$15.96 Super Savings
50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~
$2.98 Super Savings
50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~
$4.98 Super Savings
50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~
$4.98 Super Savings