Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 27, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Telarc
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Ed Hamilton (guitar); George Duke, Lenny White, Stanley Clarke, Pat Petrillo,
Planet Jazz gives the impression that guitarist/keyboardist Ed Hamilton has sublimated more adventurous instincts to stay on target with his handlers' bid for mass appeal. Only occasionally does he hint at having a voice of his own: for example, when executing an unexpected turn of phrase in a high-speed run up the neck or in moments when his jazz, rock, and pop confections coalesce into glimmerings of a direction worthy of further exploration. Overall, though, the focus on this 1996 release is on sweet, hummable hooks rather than swinging improvisation. Still, on a couple of the 12 Hamilton originals here, the young Philadelphian impresses with some nice Wes Montgomery-inspired work. It's a pity there isn't more, because when he works in the fresh, mainstream vein of his "Life on the Edge" and "Curtis Blues," Hamilton is a credible and convincing jazz guitarist with fairly staggering chops. Hamilton's cohorts -- including bassists Charles Fambrough and Stanley Clarke, drummer Lenny White, and soprano saxophonist George Howard -- contribute crisp, professional, note-perfect parts. Trouble is they set up static, rather than organic, structures. As a result, Hamilton's impressively hook-laden writing simply becomes repetitious, rather than serving as the basis for the type of spontaneous development usually associated with the term "jazz." Hamilton has clearly come to the crossroads and picked (or had picked for him) the fork that points to potential commercial success (which may or may not come his way). If he later reconsiders, he won't be the first player to backtrack and pursue a more personal muse. ~ Jim Todd
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 63,256
- UPC: 089408338724
- Shipping Weight: 0.22/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Yusef Lateef Meditations (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE