Jim Hall Panorama: Live at Village Vanguard
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: October 28, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Telarc
Entertainment Weekly - 11/07/97, p.87"...A deceptively soft-spoken player deserving greater recognition, Hall is in one of the richest phases of his career." - Rating: B+
Down Beat - 2/98, pp.45-464 stars (out of 5) - "...the acclaimed guitarist...continues to follow an implacable musical logic....there's a strong rapport between new and old friends here, a shared joy in listening to each other..."
- 1.Pan-O-Rama - (with Geoff Keezer)
- 2.Little Blues - (with Art Farmer)
- 3.Answer Is Yes, The - (with Kenny Barron)
- 4.Entre Nous - (with Slide Hampton)
- 5.Furnished Flats - (with Greg Osby)
- 6.Something To Wish For - (with Kenny Barron)
- 7.No You Don't! - (with Slide Hampton)
- 8.Painted Pig - (with Greg Osby)
- 9.Here Comes Jane - (with Geoff Keezer)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Jim Hall (guitar); Greg Osby (alto saxophone); Art Farmer (flugelhorn); Slide Hampton (trombone); Kenny Barron, Geoff Keezer (piano); Scott Colley (bass); Terry Clarke (drums).
Recorded live at The Village Vanguard, New York, New York from December 4-8, 1996. Includes liner notes by Devra Hall And Jim Hall.
Personnel: Jim Hall (guitar); Greg Osby (alto saxophone); Art Farmer (flugelhorn); Slide Hampton (trombone); Geoff Keezer, Kenny Barron (piano); Terry Clarke (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Devra Hall; Jim Hall.
Recording information: Village Vanguard, New York, NY (1997).
Editor: Mark Tessi.
A musical adventurer, Jim Hall is always in search of unexplored territory. Thinking it would be both fun and challenging to play with a different special guest artist each night, he invited pianists Geoff Keezer and Kenny Barron, trombonist Slide Hampton, flugelhornist Art Farmer, and saxophonist Greg Osby to do just this with his trio at New York's famed Village Vanguard.
While much is left to chance in the hands of these jazz innovators, the music bubbles with vitality and passion. Recorded live in 1996, Hall and company perform unique versions of "The Answer is Yes" and "Furnished Flats," among others. On the former, pianist Kenny Barron burns bold and fiery bebop riffs, while on the latter, the tenor player Greg Osby reaches down to the lowest note on his horn as he pushes the tonal boundaries of the blues.
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
Grand Slam: Live at the Regattabar, Cambridge Massachusetts (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE