Jim Hall Dialogues
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: September 26, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Telarc
Down Beat - 2/96, p.424 Stars - Very Good - "...Hall's playing...achieves a high-water mark of musical poetry..."
JazzTimes - 2/96, p.77"...A clever, open-minded concept resulting in a stunning sonic watercolor of textures, moods and grooves..."
Village Voice (1/16/96) - Ranked #11 in the Village Voice's Best Jazz Discs of '95 - "...The variety grows on you the way all the guests grew on Hall and vice versa. Not a note is wasted..."
- 1.Frisell Frazzle - (with Bill Frisell)
- 2.Simple Things - (with Bill Frisell)
- 3.Calypso Joe - (with Joe Lovano)
- 4.Bon Ami - (with Joe Lovano)
- 5.Dream Steps - (with Tom Harrell)
- 6.Snowbound - (with Gil Goldstein)
- 7.Stern Stuff - (with Mike Stern)
- 8.Dialogue - (with Gil Goldstein)
- 9.Uncle Ed - (with Mike Stern)
- 10.Skylark - (with Tom Harrell)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Guitarist Jim Hall has long been one of the most open-minded of the important stylists to emerge during the 1950s, and his harmonically advanced style remains quite modern while hinting at its foundations in bop. For this Telarc CD, Hall teams up with five major players on two numbers apiece: Guitarists Bill Frisell and Mike Stern, Joe Lovano on tenor, flugelhornist Tom Harrell, and Gil Goldstein on accordion. Bassist Scott Colley and drummer Andy Watson are on the Frisell and Lovano tracks, and part of the Harrell and Stern performances. All of the compositions but "Skylark" are Hall originals and, although they are usually a bit dry, there are some exceptions: "Uncle Ed" and "Frisell Frazzle" are a little nutty. The emphasis throughout is on interplay between the lead voices and advanced improvising. Despite his strong sidemen (Stern and Harrell fare best), Jim Hall ends up as the dominant voice on virtually every selection, making this a set his fans will enjoy. ~ Scott Yanow
Grand Slam: Live at the Regattabar, Cambridge Massachusetts (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE