Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$13 (68% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 28, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Telarc
JazzTimes - p.93"Here his trio is expanded to a quintet by Russell Malone's guitar and Steve Kroon's percussion. Every Malone entrance is a shower of sudden warmth."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Cyrus Chestnut (piano); Cyrus Chestnut; Michael Hawkins (upright bass); Neal Smith (drums); Steve Kroon (percussion); Russell Malone (guitar).
Audio Mixer: Jack Renner.
Recording information: Avatar, Studio A, New York, NY (07/18/2005-07/19/2005).
Photographer: Mark Jenkinson.
There's just no way not to like Cyrus Chestnut. His playing is robust but tasteful, and he plays ballads with a liquid fluency; his original compositions brim with good cheer; he favors middling tempos that neither tempt him to show off excessively nor to bog himself down in extended, self-indulgent elaboration. His first album for the Telarc label showcases all of his strengths. He can take the unlikeliest melodies and make them sound like standards: on this album, he manages to spin equally refined musical gold out of both a schlocky 1970s love ballad (Bread's "If") and a faux folk song turned soul hit (Ewan MacColl's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"). And he can handle knotty Latin rhythms with offhanded ease (though the rhythmic structure on "Baby Girl's Strut" feels a little bit disorganized). Best of all, he plays gospel tunes with a heartfelt fervor that never descends into sentimentality. Chestnut's own "Mason Dixon Line" is one of the album's high points, a joyful bebop number that makes you hope he'll someday do a whole album of Bud Powell compositions. The album's relentless, midtempo pleasantness makes it easy to stop paying attention by about halfway through, but every time you catch yourself drifting and start listening closely again, you'll notice something else wonderful. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 56,073
- UPC: 089408363429
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Piano Music Categories:
Muhal Richard Abrams Vision Towards Essence (Live) (CD) ~
$15.08 Super Savings
Joey Alexander My Favorite Things (CD) ~
$13.43 Super Savings
Monty Alexander Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
- Monty Alexander Harlem-Kingston Express (Live) (CD) ~ $15.59
- Monty Alexander / Ernest Ranglin Rocksteady (CD) ~ $17.08
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE