- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 24, 2001
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: New Yorker Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Bonus Trailers
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Filmographies: Maurice Pialat - Director
- New Yorker Films Profile
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 05/28/1980
"...There is a luminous quality about this film. There is humor that springs from situations and character..."
New York Times - 10/08/1980
"...[Depardieu and Huppert] are magnetic..."
French film luminaries Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu star in this bittersweet romance. Loulou, a petty crook and full-time slacker, forms a tentative relationship with Nelly, a determined, if emotionally fragile, advertising worker. They care a great deal for each other, but they argue with uncomfortable regularity. Their union is affected, furthermore, by the tumult that rules their lives: Loulou steps up his criminal activity by enticing Nelly into joining him in a warehouse robbery; and she still carries on an affair with her boss. When Nelly becomes pregnant, both she and Loulou realize that their love must blossom... or wither.
When a married woman meets a charming leather-clad stud (Depardieu) in a crowded Paris disco, she can't resist his lustful style and returns home with him. They embark on a free-wheeling relationship that is a mixture of eroticism and pure romance.
- Additional cast: Bernard Tronczyk (Remy) and Christian Boucher (Pierrot).
- "Loulou" had its world premiere at the 1980 Cannes Film Festival.
- Color by Eastmancolor.
- Produced by Gaumont Films and Action Films.
- Copyright 1980, Gaumont Films/Action Films.