Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 19, 2013
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Note: Production Featurette Audio Commentary with Al Pacino and Russell Crowe
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Al Pacino &
Philip Baker Hall,
Lynne Thigpen &
Hallie Kate Eisenberg
David Rosenbloom &
Eric Roth &
Pieter Bourke &
Pieter Jan Brugge &
Director of Photography:
New York Times - 11/05/1999
"...Mr. Mann has directed THE INSIDER with a pulse-quickening panache that heightens the tension within its story....There are stunningly evocative images here..."
USA Today - 11/05/1999
"...Hard-hitting grown-up cinema....With Pacino, we get the best of both worlds: a mostly restrained performance that still offers opportunities for the actor's reliable stack-blowing..."
Total Film - 02/01/2001
"...Compelling and disturbing in equal measure..."
Wall Street Journal - 04/17/2009
"[A] big, complex movie....[It] has the jagged immediacy of real life....[The script] dramatizes the use and misuse of corporate power."
THE INSIDER is a gripping motion picture about big-business corruption, featuring a stunning lead performance by Russell Crowe. Scientist Jeffrey Wigand takes on the tobacco industry by breaking his confidentiality agreement with his employer, Brown & Williamson. By granting 60 MINUTES a revealing interview, Wigand's life spirals out of control. He seeks help in Lowell Bergman, the producer who has given his word that he will air the interview in its entirety. Big Tobacco, however, does everything in its power to shut Wigand up, including persuading CBS to shelve the interview he has sacrificed everything to give. As per director Michael Mann's request, this movie is available only in letterboxed format in both VHS and DVD.
Big Business |
Television Programs |
Theatrical Release |
- Russell Crowe put on around 40 pounds to portray Jeffrey Wigand. Once shooting for THE INSIDER wrapped, he then had to lose the weight for his role in GLADIATOR.
- Director Michael Mann operated the camera on more than half the shots in THE INSIDER.
- Mike Wallace filed a lawsuit against the filmmakers, claiming the film was slanderous.
- The high school where the real Jeff Wigand taught is used as a location in the film.
- The soundtrack to THE INSIDER by Lisa Gerrard (formerly of Dead Can Dance) and Pieter Bourke is available on Sony/Columbia Records. Lisa Gerrard also contributes music to GLADIATOR, as well as Michael Mann's HEAT.
- Super 35 Theatrical Aspect Ratio 2.40:1