Leon Spencer Jr. Legends of Acid Jazz
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Caesar Frazier ~ Hail Ceasar!/'75 ~ $12.35
- by Melvin Sparks ~ Legends of Acid Jazz ~ $10.56
- by Ivan "Boogaloo Joe" Jones ~ Legends of Acid Jazz: Boogaloo Joe Jones, Volume 1 ~ $17.08
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 24, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Prestige
- 1.The Slide
- 2.Someday My Prince Will Come
- 3.Message From the Meters
- 6.Sneak Preview
- 7.Louisiana Slim
- 8.Mercy Mercy Me
- 9.Close to You, (They Long to Be)
- 10.Our Love Will Never Die
- 11.The Trouble With Love
Personnel includes: Virgil Jones, Grover Washington, Jr. Melvin Sparks, Idris Muhammad, Buddy Caldwell.
LEGENDS OF ACID JAZZ was originally released separately as SNEAK PREVIEW and LOUISIANA SLIM.
Leon Spencer, an organist heavily influenced by Jimmy Smith, recorded four albums for Prestige from 1970-73 before largely dropping out of the music scene. The music from his first two LPs (Sneak Preview and Louisiana Slim) have been reissued in full on this 1997 single CD. Spencer's swinging solos on these mostly grooving tunes are quite appealing. The sidemen (the underrated trumpeter Virgil Jones, the young Grover Washington, Jr. on tenor, guitarist Melvin Sparks, drummer Idris Muhammad and Buddy Caldwell on conga) are excellent, and the material, although mostly blues-oriented, is quite strong. Washington's flute is surprisingly effective on "Our Love Will Never Die." It is a pity that Spencer's career ultimately went nowhere, for he holds his own with his contemporaries throughout this recommended soul-jazz release. ~ Scott Yanow
Charles KynardLegends of Acid Jazz: Afro-Disiac / Wa-Tu-Wa-Zui (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!