Johnny "Hammond" Smith
Opus de Funk
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.89 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$14.09 (74% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: May 25, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Prestige
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: OPUS DE FUNK/STIMULATION (1961).
Personnel: Johnny "Hammond" Smith (organ); Johnny "Hammond" Smith; Wendell Marshall (double bass); Eddie McFadden (guitar); Freddie McCoy (vibraphone); Leo Stevens (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Authors: Robert Levin; Joe Goldberg.
Recording information: New Jersey (02/14/1961-05/12/1961); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (02/14/1961-05/12/1961).
While organist Johnny "Hammond" Smith never attained the status of Jimmy Smith, he nonetheless fronted first-rate bands and accumulated a fine discography. Recorded in 1961, Opus de Funk brings together two Smith albums in one package, Stimulation and Opus de Funk. Since the same band -- vibraphonist Freddie McCoy, guitarist Eddie McFadden, bassist Wendell Marshall, and drummer Leo Stevens -- played on both sets, and since both albums aren't very long by contemporary standards, the pair fit snuggly on the same CD. The really unusual element here is the presence of McCoy, because one doesn't usually associate vibes with jazz organ combos. The vibes work, however, and give the resonance of Smith's organ a lighter counterpoint that brightens up the overall sound. The band delivers fine versions of familiar pieces -- "Cry Me a River," "Autumn Leaves," and "Gone With the Wind" -- alongside newer pieces like "Ribs an' Chips" and "Que Pasa?" With a couple of exceptions, this snappy unit likes to keep things tight, and seldom extends a piece for over five minutes. The one big exception is Smith's "Ribs an' Chips," a breezy eight-minute bit of blues with fine solos by McFadden and McCoy. Opus de Funk is a welcome reissue and will be greeted warmly by jazz organ fans. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 50,113
- UPC: 025218529129
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Soul Jazz Music Categories:
Cannonball Adderley / Kenny Clarke Bohemia After Dark (24-Bit with Bonus Tracks) (CD) ~
$10.33 Super Savings
- Nat Adderley Good Company (CD) ~ $17.44
Nat Adderley Naturally! (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Harold Alexander Raw Root (CD) ~ $3.58
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Yusef Lateef Meditations (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE