Johnny "Hammond" Smith Legends of Acid Jazz
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Charles Kynard ~ Legends of Acid Jazz: Afro-Disiac / Wa-Tu-Wa-Zui ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: December 3, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Prestige
- 1.Soul Talk
- 2.All Soul
- 3.Up To Date
- 4.Purdy Dirty
- 5.This Guy's In Love With You
- 6.Black Feeling
- 8.Johnny Hammond Boogaloo
- 9.Dig On It
- 10.When Sunny Gets Blue
- 11.Soul Talk (1970)
Personnel includes: Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Rusty Bryant, Leo Johnson, Virgil Jones, Wally Richardson, Bob Bushnell, Jimmy Lewis, Bernard Purdie.
Recorded in May 1969 and December 1969.
Personnel: Johnny "Hammond" Smith (organ); Wally Richardson (guitar); Rusty Bryant (saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Leo Johnson (tenor saxophone); Virgil Jones (trumpet); Jimmy Lewis , Bob Bushnell (bass guitar); Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Authors: Bill Buchanan; Bob Porter.
Recording information: Englewood Cliffs, NJ (05/19/1969/12/22/1969).
Photographer: Phil Bray.
Out of all the soul-jazz organ players, only one was so thoroughly funked out that he personally adopted the name of his favorite keyboard, the B-3: Johnny "Hammond" Smith. While not as important in the development of jazz styles as other keyboard players such as Jimmy Smith, "Hammond" displayed an earthy, swinging talent worth listening to. Legends of Acid Jazz: Johnny "Hammond" Smith compiles under a single cover two albums Smith recorded in 1969, Soul Talk and Black Feeling! (complete with the liner notes from both original issues). On Legends, Smith gets down in the heady company of, among others, tenor saxophonist Rusty Bryant, funky drummer Bernard Purdie and guitarist Wally Richardson; Richardson here pays tribute to his bandmates with his compositions "Purdie Dirty" and "Johnny Hammond Boogaloo." Legends includes the pop covers "When Sunny Gets Blue" and "This Guy's In Love With You," opens with the original version of Smith's hit "Soul Talk," and concludes with the updated version he later recorded for Black Feeling. Not groundbreaking, but solid and a funky good time. ~ Chris Slawecki
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Bohemia After Dark (24-Bit with Bonus Tracks) (CD)
$10.33 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE