Greatest Jazz Concert in the World (3-CD)
Only 7 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.05 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.93 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Ellington / Count Basie ~ First Time! The Count Meets The Duke ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Various Artists ~ Frankfurt, 1952 (Live) ~ $14.38 (Save 24%)
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $44.74
- by Tony Bennett / Dave Brubeck ~ White House Sessions: Live 1962 ~ $7.44
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: December 1, 1989
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Pablo
Tracks on Disc 1:
Tracks on Disc 2:
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Satin Doll
- 2.Tootie for Cootie
- 3.Up Jump
- 4.Prelude to a Kiss
- 5.Mood Indigo / I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good: Mood Indigo / I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
- 6.Things Ain't What They Used to Be
- 7.Don't Be That Way
- 8.You've Changed
- 9.Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)
- 10.On the Sunny Side of the Street
- 11.It's Only a Paper Moon
- 12.Day Dream
- 13.If I Could Be with You (One Hour Tonight)
- 14.Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
- 15.Cotton Tail
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Recorded in New York, Hollywood, and Oakland, California in June and July 1967. Includes liner notes by Benny Green.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (January 1989, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); T-Bone Walker (vocals, guitar); Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Johnny Hodges (saxophone, alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney, Jimmy Hamilton, Russell Procope (saxophone); Benny Carter (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry, Cootie Williams, Herb Jones, Mercer Ellington, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Lawrence Brown , Chuck Connors, Buster Cooper (trombone); Jimmy Jones , Oscar Peterson (piano); Louis Hayes, Rufus "Speedy" Jones, Sam Woodyard, Bobby Durham (drums).
Audio Remixers: David Luke; Eric Miller .
Liner Note Author: Benny Green .
Recording information: Hollywood, CA (06/1967-07/1967); New York, NY (06/1967-07/1967); Oakland, CA (06/1967-07/1967).
Photographers: Phil Stern; Chris Outwater.
In addition to having a somewhat immodest title, this three-CD set was not actually one single concert but two. That reservation aside, the music on the reissue is often quite special. There is a jam session in the Jazz at the Philharmonic vein with fl쳌gelhornist Clark Terry, altoist Benny Carter, the tenors of Zoot Sims, and Paul Gonsalves and the Oscar Peterson Trio with the all-stars playing a ballad medley and heated run-throughs of a few familiar standards. In addition, the Oscar Peterson Trio has a few features, an aging Coleman Hawkins does what he can on two numbers, Hawk teams up with altoists Benny Carter and Johnny Hodges on "C Jam Blues," and special guest T-Bone Walker sings and plays a couple of blues with assists from Terry, Gonsalves, Hodges, and Peterson. But that's not all. The Duke Ellington Orchestra is in prime form performing a great deal of new material, plus having guest spots for Sims (along with fellow tenors Gonsalves and Jimmy Hamilton on "Very Tenor"), Oscar Peterson (who gets to lead the band through a unique version of "Take the 'A' Train") and Carter; Johnny Hodges is also well-showcased. Ella Fitzgerald completes the memorable set with her usual classy performance (accompanied by the Jimmy Jones Trio and sometimes the Ellington Orchestra), finishing the show with some hot scatting on "Cotton Tail." Maybe this really was "the Greatest Jazz Concert" after all. ~ Scott Yanow
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$9.05 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of Bobby Bland - 20th Century Masters / Millennium... (CD)(7)
$3.99 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE