Kenny Dorham Kenny Dorham Quintet
11 copies available
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 8, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: OJC
- 1.Oscar For Oscar, An - (take 1)
- 2.Ruby, My Dear - (take 2)
- 3.Be My Love - (take 2)
- 4.Ruby, My Dear - (take 1)
- 6.I Love You
- 7.Darn That Dream - (take 1)
- 8.Darn That Dream - (take 2)
- 9.I Love You - (previously unreleased, take 2, bonus track)
- 10.Chicago Blues - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 11.Lonesome Lover Blues - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Kenny Dorham (vocals, trumpet); Jimmy Heath (tenor & baritone saxophones); Walter Bishop (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1953.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1993, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Kenny Dorham (vocals, trumpet); Sonny Stitt (alto saxophone); Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Walter Bishop, Sr., Bud Powell (piano); Kenny Clarke, Wallace Bishop (drums).
Recording information: New York, NY (12/15/1953).
Photographer: Bob Parent.
Kenny Dorham's debut as a leader found the 29-year-old trumpeter more than ready to take control; unfortunately, he spent virtually his entire career in the shadows of other trumpeters (such as Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, and Lee Morgan). This set was originally released by the Debut label as a six-song 10" LP, reissued with two alternate takes as a regular album, and then re-released during the CD era with two additional blues and another alternate take. The fine playing by the quintet (with Jimmy Heath on tenor and baritone, pianist Walter Bishop, bassist Percy Heath, and drummer Kenny Clarke) is not watered down by the extra material. A special bonus is the fine arranging of Dorham for the ensemble, a much overlooked talent of a continually underrated musician. ~ Scott Yanow
Art FarmerEarly Art with Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver and Wynton Kelly (CD)
$9.05 Super Savings
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$21.91 Super Savings
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 1) (2-CD)(3)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE