- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 8, 1993
- Label: OJC
- 1.Oscar For Oscar, An - (take 1)
- 2.Ruby, My Dear - (take 2)
- 3.Be My Love - (take 2)
- 4.Ruby, My Dear - (take 1)
- 6.I Love You
- 7.Darn That Dream - (take 1)
- 8.Darn That Dream - (take 2)
- 9.I Love You - (previously unreleased, take 2, bonus track)
- 10.Chicago Blues - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 11.Lonesome Lover Blues - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
Personnel: Kenny Dorham (vocals, trumpet); Jimmy Heath (tenor & baritone saxophones); Walter Bishop (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1953.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1993, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Kenny Dorham (vocals, trumpet); Sonny Stitt (alto saxophone); Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Walter Bishop, Sr., Bud Powell (piano); Kenny Clarke, Wallace Bishop (drums).
Recording information: New York, NY (12/15/1953).
Photographer: Bob Parent.
Kenny Dorham's debut as a leader found the 29-year-old trumpeter more than ready to take control; unfortunately, he spent virtually his entire career in the shadows of other trumpeters (such as Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, and Lee Morgan). This set was originally released by the Debut label as a six-song 10" LP, reissued with two alternate takes as a regular album, and then re-released during the CD era with two additional blues and another alternate take. The fine playing by the quintet (with Jimmy Heath on tenor and baritone, pianist Walter Bishop, bassist Percy Heath, and drummer Kenny Clarke) is not watered down by the extra material. A special bonus is the fine arranging of Dorham for the ensemble, a much overlooked talent of a continually underrated musician. ~ Scott Yanow