Thad Jones The Fabulous Thad Jones
Only 8 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Thad Jones ~ The Magnificent Thad Jones ~ $12.89
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 12, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Thad Jones (trumpet); Frank Wess (tenor saxophone, flute); John Dennis, Hank Jones (piano); Charles Mingus (bass); Max Roach, Kenny Clarke (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 11, 1954 & March 10, 1955. Originally released on Debut (127).
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Jones is regarded as one of the most original trumpet players in hard bop. His unorthodox and daring improvisations are as complex as they are inventive, often containing odd intervals that aren't natural to the trumpet. On the debut THE FABULOUS THAD JONES, one can hear the burgeoning talents of the then-young Jones.
Jones' playing on this 1954 release is distinct and exciting. His compelling tone and technique instinctively evoke the dense and brassy tone of predecessors such as Fats Navarro. On the Porter classic "Get out of Town," Jones wastes no time. After a brief Harmon-muted introduction, he breaks into startlingly forceful phrases. Jones' blistering soloing skill is even better displayed on "One More," an uptempo barn burner that highlights his fleshy tone and his unique musical drive. FABULOUS also features smart performances by Charles Mingus, Kenny Clarke, and Hank Jones (Thad's brother), each a legend in his own right, here supporting the young trumpet player with confidence and poise.
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$21.91 Super Savings
All My Yesterdays: The Debut 1966 Recordings at the Village... (CD)
$24.19 Super Savings
Presenting / Live at the Village Vanguard / The Big Band... (CD)
$16.04 Super Savings
Groovin' High: The Ultimate Trumpet Collection (CD)(2)
Opening Night: Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Big Band at the... (CD)(2)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE