- Released: February 5, 2013
- Label: Fat Possum Records
Rolling Stone - 2/6/03, p.654 stars out of 5
- "...Green has plenty of greatest-hits collections, but this is as fine a place as any to start..."
- 1.L-O-V-E (Love)
- 2.I'm Still in Love With You
- 3.Livin' for You
- 4.Here I Am (Come and Take Me)
- 5.You Ought to Be With Me
- 6.I'm Glad You're Mine
- 7.Wait Here
- 8.For the Good Times
- 9.Love and Happiness
- 10.Sha-La-La (Make Me Happy)
- 11.What Is This Feeling
- 12.Let's Get Married
- 13.Call Me (Come Back Home)
- 15.How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
- 16.Let's Stay Together
- 17.Put It On Paper
- 18.How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - (featuring Joss Stone)
Personnel includes: Al Green, Ann Nesby (vocals).
Compilation producers: Bryan Kelley, Shannon Ward.
Recorded between 1972 & 2002. Includes liner notes by Colin Escott.
Liner Note Author: Colin Escott.
If there's ever been a soul singer who deserves to be called on to provide mood music for romantic interludes, it's Al Green. With his ringing falsetto, impassioned phrasing, and killer arrangements by famed Hi Records producer Willie Mitchell, Green's LOVE SONGS COLLECTION merits a special place on your shelf. All the great songs are here: the simmering "Call Me (Come Back Home)," cool and loose "Here I Am (Come and Take Me)," yearning "Let's Stay Together," and sassy "Love And Happiness." Although most of these songs were either written or co-written by Green, there's also a number of notable covers including a restrained interpretation of Kris Kristofferson's "For The Good Times" and a version of the Bee Gees' "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" that aches with hurt.