Hampton Hawes The Sermon
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: March 12, 2002
- Label: OJC
- 1.Down By The Riverside
- 2.Just A Closer Walk With Thee
- 3.Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- 4.Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen
- 5.When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder
- 6.Go Down Moses
- 7.Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho
- 8.Blues N/C
Hampton Hawes recorded THE SERMON in 1958, just days before he was sentenced to federal prison on a narcotics conviction. He was pardoned by President Kennedy five years later, but THE SERMON wasn't released until 1987, ten years after Hawes' death.
Personnel includes: Hampton Hawes (piano); Leroy Vinnegar (bass); Stan Levey (drums).
Recorded at Contemporary's Studio in Los Angeles, California on November 24 & 25, 1958.
Personnel: Hampton Hawes (piano); Stan Levey (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Recording information: Contemporary Records Studio, Los Angeles, CA (11/24/1958-11/25/1958); Contemporary's Studio, Los Angeles, CA (11/24/1958-11/25/1958); Los Angeles, CA (11/24/1958-11/25/1958).
Photographer: Ray Avery.
This set was pianist Hampton Hawes' last before he started what would be five years in prison on drug charges. He had been arrested 11 days before and ironically chose to record a set of spirituals (plus a blues) as he awaited trial. Not released until 1987, the music (played with bassist Leroy Vinnegar and drummer Stan Levey) is full of intense emotion, strong melodies and a little more variety than one might expect. Hawes' treatments of such tunes as "Down By the Riverside," "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen," "When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder" and "Joshua Fit De Battle of Jericho" are quite haunting. ~ Scott Yanow
Cannonball AdderleyNorman Granz, Jazz At The Philharmonic: Paris, 1960 (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE