Four! Hampton Hawes!!!!
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: July 1, 1991
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: OJC
Q - 3/95, p.1173 Stars - Good - "...this makes for classic '50s jazz--joyful but jazz-literate--and most of this record is just that, not least because of the sterling contributions of Red Mitchell and Shelly Manne on bass and drums respectively..."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Yardbird Suite - Hampton Hawes, Parker, Charlie
- 2.There Will Never Be Another You - Hampton Hawes, Gordon, Mack
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Bow Jest - Hampton Hawes, Mitchell, Red
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Sweet Sue - Hampton Hawes, Harris, Will J.
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Up Blues - Hampton Hawes, Hawes, Hampton
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Like Someone in Love - Hampton Hawes, Burke, Johnny
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Love Is Just Around the Corner - Hampton Hawes, Gensler, Lewis
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Thou Swell [*] - Hampton Hawes, Hart, Lorenz
- 9.Awful Truth [*] - Hampton Hawes, Hawes, Hampton
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Hampton Hawes (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Red Mitchell (bass); Shelly Manne (drums).
Recorded at Contemporary's studio, Los Angeles, California on January 27, 1958. Originally released on Contemporary (7553). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1988, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Pianist Hampton Hawes' 1950s recordings for the Contemporary label are at such a high level that they could all be given five stars. This outing with bassist Red Mitchell, drummer Shelly Manne, and guitarist Barney Kessel (who is a slight wild card) is also quite successful. Two previously unreleased numbers ("Thou Swell" and "The Awful Truth") have been added to the CD reissue. Highlights of the exciting bop date include "Yardbird Suite," "There Will Never Be Another You," and "Love Is Just Around the Corner." ~ Scott Yanow
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!