Hampton Hawes All Night Session!, Volume 2
Only 6 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Hampton Hawes ~ Everybody Likes Volume 3: The Trio ~ $9.99
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 12, 1991
- Label: OJC
- 1.I'll Remember April
- 2.I Should Care
- 3.Woody'n You
- 4.Two Bass Hit
- 5.Will You Still Be Mine
- 6.April In Paris
- 7.Blue 'N' Boogie
Hampton Hawes Quartet: Hampton Hawes (piano); Jim Hall (guitar); Red Mitchell (bass); Bruz Freeman (drums).
Recorded at Contemporary's Studio, Los Angeles, California on November 12 & 13, 1956. Originally released on Contemporary (7546). Includes liner notes by Arnold Shaw.
Digitally remastered by Gary Hobish (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
This is the second of three albums that came about as the result of an all-night recording session that took place in Los Angeles on November 12 and 13, 1956. Although Hampton Hawes spontaneously created five original tunes at this extraordinarily inspired date, everything on Vol. 2 comes directly out of the standard bop musician's working repertoire. The quartet, with bassist Red Mitchell, guitarist Jim Hall, and drummer Eldridge "Bruz" Freeman, collectively improvise their way through four attractive standards ("I Should Care" turned out to be the only slow ballad of the entire session) and three of Dizzy Gillespie's most refreshing creations. In 1958 Hawes was quoted as saying "It's hard to put into words how good it feels to play jazz when it's really swinging...I've reached a point where the music fills you up so much emotionally that you feel like shouting hallelujah -- like people do in church when they're converted to God. That's the way I was feeling the night we recorded All Night Session!" The complete All Night Session! was reissued in its entirety with one previously unreleased track by the Definitive label in 2007. ~ arwulf arwulf
Cannonball AdderleyNorman Granz, Jazz At The Philharmonic: Paris, 1960 (CD)
$19.66 CYBER SALE
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE