- Released: August 22, 1996
- Label: OJC
Down Beat - 19604 Stars
- Very Good - "..Throughout the tracks, Harris plays with a deceptive ease, great imagination, and essential grace that marks him as one of the giants of modern jazz piano. The record is most welcome.."
- 1.Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby? - (take 2)
- 2.Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby - (previously unreleased, take 1, bonus track)
- 3.Curtain Call
- 4.Star Eyes
- 5.Moose The Mooche
- 7.Morning Coffee
- 8.Don't Blame Me - (take 2)
- 9.Don't Blame Me - (previously unreleased, take 1, bonus track)
- 10.Woody'n You - (take 2)
- 11.Woody'n You - (previously unreleased, take 1, bonus track)
Personnel: Barry Harris (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).
Recorded live at The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on May 15 & 16, 1960. Originally released on Riverside (1177). Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Barry Harris (piano); Louis Hayes (drums).
Liner Note Author: Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, CA (05/15/1960/05/16/1960).
Photographer: Jerry Stoll.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Louis Hayes; Sam Jones.
Pianist Barry Harris' second recording as a leader (he led a set for Argo in 1958) finds him at the age of 30 playing in the same boppish style he would have throughout his career. Teamed up with bassist Sam Jones and drummer Louis Hayes, this live CD reissue (which adds three alternate takes to the original LP program) is an excellent example of Harris' playing. Highlights of the enthusiastic straight-ahead set (which includes three obscure but worthy originals by the pianist) include "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby," "Moose the Mooche" and "Woody'N You." ~ [Barry Harris at the Jazz Workshop was reissued on CD in 2006 and includes bonus tracks.] Scott Yanow