Tom Harrell Sail Away [Original Jazz Classics]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Tom Harrell ~ Moon Alley ~ $15.62
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: September 23, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: OJC
Down Beat5 Stars - Excellent
- 2.Glass Mystery
- 3.Dream In June
- 4.Sail Away
- 5.Buffalo Wings
- 6.It Always Is
- 7.Dancing Trees
- 8.Hope St.
- 9.April Mist - (bonus track)
- 10.Visions Of Gaudi - (bonus track)
Personnel: Tom Harrell (trumpet); Dave Liebman (soprano saxophone); Joe Lovano (tenor saxophone); Cheryl Pyle (flute); James Williams (piano); John Abercrombie (guitar, guitar synthesizer); Ray Drummond (bass); Adam Nussbaum (drums).
Recorded at A & R Studios, New York, New York on March 22-23, 1989. Includes liner notes by Tom Surowicz.
Personnel: Tom Harrell (trumpet, flugelhorn); John Abercrombie (guitar, guitar synthesizer); Cheryl Pyle (flute); David Liebman (soprano saxophone); Joe Lovano (tenor saxophone); James Williams (piano); Adam Nussbaum (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Tom Surowicz.
Recording information: A&R Studios, New York, NY (03/22/1989/03/23/1989).
Tom Harrell has been widely admired for his skills both as a player and composer, which he manages in spite of an ongoing battle with schizophrenia. These sessions were recorded not long after he left the Phil Woods Quintet, where he played to critical acclaim for six years. Ten potent originals are heard on this reissue, which includes two bonus tracks omitted from the initial release (both of which appeared on the CD Visions). With the potent rhythm section of pianist James Williams, bassist Ray Drummond and drummer Adam Nussbaum, plus guitarist John Abercrombie, tenor saxophonist Joe Lovano, and soprano saxophonist Dave Liebman on selected tracks, every track stands out. The session explodes out of the gate with the fiery "Eons," showcasing Harrell, Lovano, and Williams (the latter who sadly passed away in 2004 from cancer). The trumpeter's soft bossa nova "Sail Away" has long since become one of his best known compositions; this version features Harrell at his peak. "Dancing Trees" also has a soft, Brazilian air, and added guest Cheryl Pyle on flute. ~ Ken Dryden
Coleman HawkinsAt Ease With Coleman Hawkins [Rudy Van Gelder Remasters] (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$8.84 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE