- Released: August 28, 2007
- Label: Highnote
Down Beat - p.813.5 stars out of 5
-- "[His] warm, rough-at-the-edges baritone, gives each song an expressive treatment."
JazzTimes - p.110
"Cole, who at age 76 has lost none of his vocal luster, lends his tender richness to a spectrum of well-chosen standards..."
- 1.I'll Never Be the Same - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 2.My Ideal - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 3.Don't Take Your Love From Me / I Never Had a Chance - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 4.Music, Maestro, Please! - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 5.If I Love Again - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 6.Why Did I Choose You? - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 7.Once In a While - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 8.You Leave Me Breathless - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 9.There Are Such Things - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 10.You Could Hear a Pin Drop - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
- 11.How Do You Say Auf Wiedersehn? - (with Bill Charlap Trio)
Personnel: Freddy Cole (vocals).
Additional personnel: Bill Charlap (piano); Peter Washington (bass guitar); Kenny Washington (drums); Bill Charlap Trio.
Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Liner Note Author: Ted Panken.
Recording information: 05/17/2006/05/18/2006.
Photographer: R. Andrew Lepley.
Vocalist Freddy Cole (the brother of Nat King Cole) has been making music since the early 1950s, and was still going strong in 2007, when he released the lovely MUSIC MAESTRO PLEASE. An accomplished pianist himself, Cole turns the reigns over to Bill Charlap and his trio on this set, and Charlap and Co. perform admirably, lending warm, sympathetic accompaniment to Cole's elegant singing. The program includes many well-known tunes from the 1930s and '40s, including "You Leave Me Breathless," "If I Love Again," and "Once in a While." This is sweet, stylish music that is no less appealing for its debt to the sounds and moods of yesteryear.