The Mavericks In Time
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.30 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 26, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Valory
Billboard (p.87) - "Raul Malo's larger-than-life vocals shift from sultry to near-operatic."
Q (Magazine) - p.1064 stars out of 5 -- "Miami's retro-nuevo-Tejano-mariachi-country-rock hyphenates sound refreshed, recharged and better than ever."
- 1.Back in Your Arms
- 3.Born to Be Blue
- 4.Come Unto Me
- 5.In Another's Arms
- 6.Fall Apart
- 7.All Over Again
- 8.Forgive Me
- 9.Amsterdam Moon
- 10.That's Not My Name
- 11.As Long As There's Loving Tonight
- 12.Dance In The Moonlight
- 13.Call Me When You Get To Heaven
- 14.Ven Hacia Mi (Come Unto Me)
Audio Mixers: Nathan Yarborough; Niko Bolas.
Recording information: Blackbird Studios, Nashville, TN; The Love Shack, Nashville, TN.
Photographer: Mark Tucker .
Although they first broke into the limelight marketed as a country act in the 1990s, Miami's Mavericks, led by the soaring, Roy Orbison-like vocals of singer Raul Malo, and with a sound that blended country elements with Tex-Mex, Latin, and Cuban touches, along with pure pop, proved to be a little too diverse (OK, a lot diverse) for the narrow confines of Nashville's version of commercial country. The band parted ways as the decade closed, reunited for a single album in 2003, then split up again while Malo, always the focal point and the main songwriter in the group, went on to release several solo albums that explored different genre avenues before the Mavericks reunited once more in 2011. This album, In Time, is the result, and it's a further step away from anything resembling a mainstream country release, incorporating not only the Tex-Mex and Cuban influences the band was known for, but also the rhythms of polkas, tangos, and all manner of approaches, making them closer to a band like Los Lobos than to Tim McGraw or Jason Aldean, or whoever passes for the face of country music these days. Malo co-produced this set (with Niko Bolas), and he wrote or co-wrote all of the songs here, and his versatile and incredible vocals are, as they should be, the center of everything. Tracks like the floating shuffle "Back in Your Arms Again," the pop gem "Born to Be Blue," the Roy Orbison-like "That's Not My Name," and the powerful and relentless "(Call Me) When You Get to Heaven" (a stunning, passionate, and wrenching ballad that builds and rises to a honest-to-goodness bolero crescendo) prove that neither Malo nor the rest of the bandmembers have lost nary an inch during the layoff, and if anything, have grown much more explorative and adventurous. To say this album is a return to form wouldn't be quite correct. It's an extension of it. ~ Steve Leggett
The MavericksThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$5 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE