- Released: December 5, 2011
- Label: Def Jam
Entertainment Weekly - p.72
"[T]he Roots have always been at their best expressing quiet desperation and spinning old-school tales of struggling upward." -- Grade: A-
Paste (magazine) - "UNDUN is a brilliant reminder of the power of the emcee as storyteller, the possibility of 40 minutes of music lending itself to a thoughtful character and plot."
- 2.Sleep - (featuring Big K.R.I.T.)
- 3.Make My - (featuring Dice Raw / Big K.R.I.T.)
- 4.One Time - (featuring Phonte)
- 5.Kool On - (featuring Greg Porn / Truck North)
- 6.The OtherSide
- 7.Stomp - (featuring Greg Porn)
- 9.I Remember
- 10.Tip the Scale - (featuring Dice Raw)
- 11.Redford Suite: Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
- 12.Redford Suite: Possibility (2nd Movement)
- 13.Redford Suite: Will To Power (3rd Movement)
- 14.Redford Suite: Finality (4th Movement)
Personnel: Tariq Trotter (vocals); Captain Kirk Douglas (guitar); Dame "Tuba Gooding Jr." Bryson (sousaphone); Kamal Gray, James Poyser (keyboards); Ahmir Thompson (drums); Frank "Knuckles" Walker (percussion).
Recording information: A House Called Quest, Philadelphia, PA; DaCrib, Philadelphia, PA; Downtown Music Studios, New York, NY; FNL Studios, Philadelphia, PA; Grind Music Studios; MSR Studios, New York, NY; The Boom Room, Philadelphia, PA.
Just weeks after releasing their full-length collaboration with Miami soul legend Betty Wright (Betty Wright: The Movie), the Roots keep firing with Undun, their 13th studio album. While many of the group's albums have been unified sonically, Undun is cohesive from a lyrical standpoint, as it is an "existential retelling" of the life of a person named Redford Stevens, who was born in 1974 and died in 1999.