Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 1970
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region [unknown]
- English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Love means never having to say you're sorry."
- Oliver to Jenny (Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw)
Academy Awards 1970 -
Best Original Score: Francis Lai
One of the most popular tearjerkers ever, LOVE STORY tells the tale of a rich law student, Oliver (Ryan O'Neal), and a poor musician, Jenny (Ali McGraw), who fall in love while attending college. Despite opposition to their relationship from Oliver's wealthy father, the two get married. After graduation, Oliver takes a job at a prestigious legal firm in New York, and everything seems to be going well for the couple. However, tragedy strikes when Jenny is diagnosed with a fatal illness. As a result, Oliver must face a future without the woman he loves. This timeless film, based on Erich Segal's novel, featured the famous tag line "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
Ryan O'Neal as a law student who defies his rich and powerful father (Ray Milland) on every issue, including the former's love for a music student (Ali MacGraw).
A New England college is the setting for this study of a love affair that is tinged with the tragedy of illness. Academy Award Nominations: 7, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor--Ryan O'Neal, Best Actress--Ali MacGraw, Best (Adapted) Screenplay--Erich Segal. Academy Awards: Best Original Score.
Doomed Lovers |
Essential Cinema |
Love Story |
Tear Jerker |
- Film debut for actor Tommy Lee Jones, who was billed as Tom Lee Jones.
- Color by Movielab.
- Although many believe the film was an adaptation of Erich Segal's best-selling novel, this actually wasn't the case. Segal had actually written the screenplay first and then turned it into a book before the film was made. The book was published and became a best-seller before the film was released.